Repellent, toxic, and food protectant effects of pithraj,Aphanamixis polystachya extracts against pulse beetle,Callosobruchus chinensis in storage
- 72 Downloads
Ground leaves, bark, seeds, and four seed extracts of pithraj,Aphanamixis polystachya (family Meliaceae), a locally grown plant in Bangladesh, were evaluated for their repellency, contact toxicity, and food protectant efficacy against adult pulse beetle (Callosobruchus chinensis L.). The seed extracts showed poor repellent effects, but high contact toxicity to adults at 72 hr after application. The ground leaves, bark, and seeds provided good protection for mung beans against pulse beetles, and the seed powder greatly reduced the F1 progeny and seed damage rates.
Key WordsAphanamixis polystachya pithraj repellent contact toxicity food protectant Callosobruchus chinensis Coleoptera Bruchidae
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duncan, D.B. 1951. A significance test for differences between ranked treatments in an analysis of variance.Va. J. Sci. 2:171–189.Google Scholar
- Finney, D.J. 1971. Probit Analysis, 3rd ed. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. 333 pp.Google Scholar
- Greenspan, L. 1977. Humidity fixed points of binary saturated aqueous solutions.J. Res. Natl. Bur. Stand. A. Phys. Chem. 18:89–96.Google Scholar
- Islam, B.N. 1984. Pesticidal action of neem and certain indigenous plants and weeds of Bangladesh. Proceedings, 2nd International Neem Conference, Rauischholzhausen, 1983.Google Scholar
- Islam, B.N. 1987. Use of some extracts from Meliaceae and Annonaceae for control of rice hispa,Dicladispa armigera, and the pulse beetle,Callosobruchus chinensis. Proceedings, 3rd International Neem Conference, Nairobi, 1986. pp. 217–242.Google Scholar
- Islam, K.S. 1985. Studies on the growth disrupting effects of plant extracts and isolates of neem, chinaberry and pithraj inEpilachna 12-punctata Muls. Unpublished MSc (Ag) thesis. Department of Entomology, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensignh. 50 pp.Google Scholar
- Khanam, L.A.M., Talukder, D., Khan, A.R., andRahman, S.M. 1990. Insecticidal properties of Royna,Aphanamixis polystachya Wall. (Parker) (Meliaceae) againstTribolium confusum Duval.J. Asiat. Soc. Bangladesh, Sci. 16:71–74.Google Scholar
- McDonald, L.L., Guy, R.H., andSpeirs, R.D. 1970. Preliminary evaluation of new candidate materials as toxicants, repellents and attractants against stored-product insects—I. Marketing Research Report No. 882. Agric. Res. Service, U.S. Dept. Agric., Washington, D.C., pp. 8.Google Scholar
- Srivastava, S.K., andAgnihotri, V.K. 1984. Chemical investigation of the stem bark ofAphanamixis polystachya.Natl. Acad. Sci. Lett. 7(7):213–214.Google Scholar