Bio-monitoring of trace-element air pollution in Portugal: Qualitative survey
During the months of July and August 1993 a lichen collection campaign was held in Portugal where about 250 samples were collected and analysed by thick target TIPIXE and INAA. Results for 44 different elements were obtained and a data base was built and subjected to Monte Carlo Aided Target Transform Factor Analysis (MCATTFA), a method developed at IRI (Delft). 10×10 km2 coast and 50×50 km2 far from coast sampling grids were used for collection. In this work we will present the results which were obtained based on a reduced data set of 36 elements measured by INAA. The results for 22 elements obtained by TTPIXE were published elsewhere. In this work we will also present the conclusions considering all the 44 elements determined by both techniques.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Data Base INAA Sampling Grid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. E. Sloof, Environmental Lichenology: Biomonitoring Trace-Element Air Pollution, Ph. D. Thesis, TU Delft, The Netherlands, September 1993.Google Scholar
- 2.M. A. Reis, L. C. Alves, H. Th. Wolterbeek, T. Verburg, M. C. Freitas, M. A. Gouveia, Proc. 7th Intern. Conf. on PIXE and its Analytical Applications, Padova, May 26–30, 1995; Nuclear Instr. Methods (in press).Google Scholar
- 3.M. C. Freitas, E. Martinho, Anal. Chim. Acta, 223 (1989) 287.Google Scholar
- 4.S. F. Stone, M. C. Freitas, R. M. Parr, R. Zeisler, Fresenius, J. Anal. Chem., 352 (1995) 227.Google Scholar
- 5.M. C. Freitas, The Development of k0-Standardization Neutron Activation Analysis with Counting Using a Low Energy Photon Detector, Ph. D. Thesis, Gent University, Belgium, November 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Kuik, M. Blaauw, J. E. Sloof, H. Th. Wolterbeek, Atmos. Env., 27A (1993) 1967.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Kuik, J. E. Sloof, H. Th. Wolterbeek, Atmos. Env., 27A, (1993) 1975.Google Scholar
- 8.J. O. Nriago, Natural Versus Anthropogenic Emissions of Trace Metals to the Atmosphere, in: Control and Fate of Atmospheric Trace Metals, Ed.J. M. Pacyna andB. Ottar (Eds), NATO ASI Series, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, 1989, p. 3.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Kabata-Pendias, H. Pendias, Trace Elements in Soils and Plants, CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, 1986.Google Scholar