Further study of extraction equilibrium of uranium(VI) with dicyclohexano-18-crown-6 and its application to separating uranium and thorium
- 46 Downloads
In our publication (1), the extraction of uranium with dicyclohexano-18-crown-6 (mixed isomers) has been described. The extraction equilibrium of uranium(VI) from aqueous hydrochloric acid solution with dicyclohexano-18-crown-6 isomer A (Ia) and isomer B (Ib) in 1,2-dichloroethane is presented in this paper. The extracted species are found to be 1:2 (metal/crown) for Ia and 2:3 for Ib from slope analysis and direct determination of extracted complexes. The extraction equilibrium constants (Kex) have been determined at 25°C, and equal 29.5 for the former and 0.208 for the latter. It is concluded that Ia has stronger coordinate ability for uranium than Ib. The different orientation of the lone pairs of the oxygen atoms in both isomers will be taken into account for interpreting above results. The extraction of uranium(VI) with dicyclohexano-18-crown-6 (mixed isomers) or Ia from aqueous hydrochloric acid solution is effective and selective. In 0.1M crown ether-1,2-dichloroethane-6N HCl system, the separation factor U(VI)/Th(IV) exceeds 1000. The result can be taken in separating uranium and thorium.
KeywordsUranium Oxygen Atom Thorium Lone Pair Separation Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.WEN-JI Wang, BOZHONG CHEN et al., J. Radioanal. Chem., 76 (1983) 49.Google Scholar
- 2.V. V. YAKSHCHIN, B. N. LASKORIN, et al., Dokl. Akad. Nauk. SSR, 241 (1977) 159.Google Scholar
- 3.A. M. ROZEN, A. V. BOGATSKI, et al., Dokl. Akad. Nauk. SSSR, 263 (1982) 1165.Google Scholar
- 4.R. M. IZATT, B. L. HAYMORE, Z. S. BRADSHAW, J. J. CHRISTENSEN, Inorg. Chem., 14 (1975) 3132.Google Scholar
- 5.R. WILLSTATTER, G. SCHUDEL, Chem. Ber., 51 (1918) 782.Google Scholar
- 6.H. K. FRENSDORFF, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 93 (1971) 4684.Google Scholar
- 7.M. MERCER, M. R. TRUTER, J. Chem. Soc., Dalton (1973) 2215.Google Scholar