Effects of aurothioglucose and auranofin on radiographic progression in rheumatoid arthritis
- 18 Downloads
Radiographic films of 40 patients participating in a single centre patient blind study of auranofin versus aurothioglucose were evaluated in a random order by one reader. The two treatment groups were comparable with respect to number of erosions and total radiographic score at the start of the study. Only in the auranofin-treated patients was a statistically significant increase in the mean number of new erosions (p<0.001 at 6 months and p<0.01 at 12 months treatment, paired t-test) as well as in the total radiographic score (p<0.01 at 6 and 12 months treatment, paired t-test) observed. Results of this study confirm that parenteral gold compounds do retard radiographic progression of joint destruction in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. The effects on radiographic progression shown in this study are in agreement with other reports which, based on clinical and biochemical parameters, have shown that auranofin is somewhat less effective than the injectible gold salts.
Key wordsAuranofin Aurothioglucose Rheumatoid Arthritis Radiographic Progression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Luukkainen, R. Chrysotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis: with particular emphasis on the effect of chrysotherapy on radiographic changes and on the optimal time of initiation of therapy. Scand J Rheumatol (suppl) 1980, 34, 1–56.Google Scholar
- 3.Cooperating Clinics Committee of the American Rheumatism Association. A controlled trial of gold salt therapy in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1973, 16, 353–8.Google Scholar
- 9.Larsen, A., Horton, J., Osborne, C. Auranofin compared with intramuscular gold in the long-term treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: an X-ray analysis. In: Auranofin Proceedings of a Smith, Kline & French International Symposium. Editors: Capell, A., Cole, D.S., Manghani, K.K., Morris, R.W. Amsterdam. Excerpta Medica 1983, 264–74.Google Scholar
- 11.Larsen, A. Radiographic evaluation of rheumatoid arthritis in therapeutic trials. In: Controversies in the Clinical Evaluation of Analgesic — Anti-inflammatory — Antirheumatic drugs. Editors: Paulus, H.E., Ehrlich, G.E., Lindenlaub, E. Lindenlaub, F.K. Schatteurer Verlag, Stuttgart 1981, 323–9.Google Scholar
- 12.Larsen, A., Dale, K. Standardized radiological evaluation of rheumatoid arthritis in therapeutic trials. In: Recognition of Antirheumatic Drugs. Editors: Dumonde, D.C., Jasani, J.K. MTP-Press, Lancaster 1978, 285–92.Google Scholar
- 13.Larsen, A., Dale, K., Eek, M. Radiographic evaluation of rheumatoid arthritis and related conditions by standard reference films. Acta Radiol Diagn 1977, 18, 481–91.Google Scholar
- 14.Forestier, J. Rheumatoid arthritis and its treatment by gold salts. J Lab Clin Med 1935, 20, 827–9.Google Scholar