The Bohm approach to cavity quantum scalar field dynamics. Part II: The interaction of the field with matter
The deterministic process of the detection of a single quantum of energy in Bohm's approach to quantum field theory is illustrated using the Jaynes-Cummings model with a scalar field. The nonlocality of differing quantum states of the scalar field is also explored, and this description is compared with the causal picture of an unquantized field acting on the detector.
KeywordsField Theory Quantum Field Theory Quantum State Scalar Field Single Quantum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. de Broglie,Nonlinear Wave Mechanics (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1960).Google Scholar
- 2.C. Dewdney, G. Horton, M. M. Lam, Z. Malik, and M. Schmidt,Found. Phys. 22, 10 (1992).Google Scholar
- 3.M. M. Lam and C. Dewdney, “The Bohm approach to cavity quantum scalar field dynamics. Part I: The free field,”Found. Phys. 24, 1 (1994).Google Scholar
- 4.D. Bohm,Phys. Rev. 85, 166, 180 (1952).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Bohm, B. J. Hiley, and P. Kaloyerou,Phys. Rep. 144, 6 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.R. Loudon,The Quantum Theory of Light (Oxford University Press, London, 1973), pp. 232–241.Google Scholar
- 7.E. T. Jaynes and F. W. Cummings,Proc. IEEE 51, 89 (1963).Google Scholar
- 8.V. Buzek, H. Moya-Cessa, and P. L. Knight,Phys. Rev. A 45, 11 (1992); C. G. Gerry and J. Kiefer,J. Mod. Opt. 38, 5 (1991); X. P. Feng and K. Ujihara,IEEE J. Quant. Electron.25 (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.M. M. Lam and C. Dewdney,Phys. Lett. A 150, 127 (1990).Google Scholar
- 10.D. Bohm,Quantum Theory (Dover, New York, 1951).Google Scholar
- 11.M. M. Lam, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Portsmouth, 1993.Google Scholar
- 12.C. Dewdney and M. M. Lam, inInformation Dynamics (NATO ASI Series B), H. Atmanspacher and H. Scheingraber, eds. (Plenum, New York, 1990).Google Scholar