Inhibition of Histoplasma capsulatum by Garlic
The mycelial phase ofHistoplasma capsulatum was inhibited by both the volatile and water soluble components of garlic,Allium sativum L. Garlic extract at a concentration of 254 parts per billion (ppb) was inhibitory, while 8.1 parts per million (ppm) were lethal to pure cultures ofH. capsulatum. The role of garlic as an eradicent is discussed.
KeywordsPure Culture Soluble Component Garlic Extract Allium Sativum Water Soluble Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amonkar, S. V. &Banerji, A. (1971) Isolation and characterization of larvicidal principle of garlic.Science 174:1343–1344.Google Scholar
- Cavallito, C. J. &Bailey, J. H. (1944) Allicin, the antibacterial principle ofAllium sativum. I. Isolation, physical properties and antibacterial action.J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 66:1950–1951.Google Scholar
- Cavallito, C. J., Buck, J. S. &Leeter, C. M. (1944) Allicin, the antibacterial principle ofAllium sativum. II. Determination of chemical structure.J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 66:1952–1954.Google Scholar
- DeLamater, E. D. (1948) Blastomycosis with cutaneous, scrotal and prostatic involvement.Arch. Derm. Syph. 58:621–623.Google Scholar
- Emmons, C. W. &Piggott, W. R. (1963) Eradication ofHistoplasma capsulatum from soil.Mycologia 55:521–527.Google Scholar
- Gerosimon, A. I. (1967) The use of volatile fractions of the phytocides of garlic in the treatment of neglected forms of pulmonary tuberculosis. Nauk dumka: Kiev 225–227. From: ZH Otd Vyp Farmakol. Khimoter, Sredstva. Toksikol. 9: 57.Google Scholar
- Kohman, E. F. (1947) The chemical components of onion vapors responsible for wound healing qualities.Science 106: 625–627.Google Scholar
- Özek, O. (1946) The effect of garlic on bacteria.Istanbul Seriyati 27:156–161.Google Scholar
- Pasteur, L. (1858) Mémoire sur la fermentation appelle lactique.Ann. Chim. Phys. Ser. 52:404–418.Google Scholar
- Smith, C. D., Furcolow, M. L. &Tosh, F. E. (1964) Attempts to eliminateHistoplasma capsulatum from soil.Amer. J. Hyg. 79:170–180.Google Scholar
- Song, C. S., Kim, J. H. &Lee, P. H. (1967) Blood anticoagulant substance from garlic (Allium sativum). I. Its preparation and studies on its coagulant effect.Yonse. Med. J. 4:17–20.Google Scholar
- Stoll, A. &Seebeck, E. (1948) Uber alliin die genuine Muttersustang des knoblanchöls.Helvetica Chemica 31:189–210.Google Scholar