Reduction of potassium tellurite by Candidas
- 16 Downloads
A technique for observing the reduction of potassium tellurite byCandidas was developed. Various species of these yeasts reduce it at different concentrations, but that which is most useful for differentiation is 0.02 % added to Sabouraud dextrose agar basal medium. Of the yeasts studied,C. albicans, C. parapsilosis andC. tropicalis all reduced potassium tellurite to the concentration mentioned before, while the growth ofC. krusei, C. parakrusei andC. pseudotropicalis was inhibited. Without exception,C. pseudotropicalis reduced this salt at lower concentrations. The two strains ofC. guilliermondii tested gave contradictory results: one of them grew and reduced potassium tellurite, while the growth of the other was inhibited.
KeywordsPotassium Agar Candida Basal Medium Dextrose
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ajello, L., George, L. K., Kaplan, N. &Kaufman, L. 1965. Laboratory Manual for Medical Mycology. U.S. Department of Health Education and Welfare, Public Health Services, C.D.C., Atlanta, Georgia.Google Scholar
- Bonfante, R. &Barroeta, S. 1968. Development and evaluation of a rapid identification test forCandida albicans. Mycopathol. et Mycol. Appl.34 (1): 33–39.Google Scholar
- Corper, H. 1915. Sodium tellurite as a rapid test for the viability of tubercle bacilli. J. infect. Dis.16 47–53.Google Scholar
- Morton, H. E. &Anderson, T. 1941. Reduction of potassium tellurite byCorynebacterium diphteriae. Proc. Soc. exp. Med., 272–276.Google Scholar
- Müller, J. H. &Miller, P. A. 1946. A new tellurite plating medium and some comments on the laboratory diagnosis of diphtheria, J. Bact.51 734–750.Google Scholar
- Nagai, S. 1965. Differential reduction of tellurite by growing colonies of normal yeasts and respiration-deficient mutants. J. Bact.90 220–222.Google Scholar
- Terai, T., Kamahora, T. &Yamamura, Y. 1958. Tellurite reductase fromMycobacterium avium. J. Bact.75 535–539.Google Scholar
- Tucker, R., Walper, J. F., Don Apleman, M. &Donohue, J. 1962. Complete reduction of tellurite to pure tellurium metal by micro-organisms. J. Bact.83 1313–1314.Google Scholar
- Van Iterson, W. &Leene, W. 1964. A cytochemical localization of reductive sites in Gram-positive bacterium. Tellurite reduction inBacillus subtilis, J. cell. Biol.20 361–375.Google Scholar
- Van Iterson, W. &Leene, W. 1964. A cytochemical localization of reductive sites in Gram-negative bacterium. Tellurite reduction inProteus vulgaris, J. cell. Biol.20 377.Google Scholar
- Wachstein, M. 1949. Reduction of Potassium tellurite by living tissues, Proc. Soc. exp. Biol. Med.72 175–178.Google Scholar