Inducing sporulation in Alternaria solani I. Effect of water treatment
- 145 Downloads
The sporulation was induced when fully grown cultures were given dip or spray treatment with distilled water (cold or hot) and thereafter, kept partially covered at different temperatures. Cultures dipped in cold water (4° C) for 4 minutes or sprayed with cold water (4° C) or hot water (58° C) and thereafter incubated at room temperature (13–26° C) in diffused sunlight, produced maximum number of spores within 60 hours. Incubating water treated cultures in diffused sunlight or complete darkness and age and scraping of the cultures had a considerable effect upon intensity of sporulation. The cultures yield a number of subsequent crops of spores when scraped and given dip treatment with cold or hot water, after obtaining each crop of spores.
KeywordsCold Water Early Blight Subsequent Crop Spray Treatment Helminthosporium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beecher, F. S. (1945) Light and composition of media as factors inducing sporulation in strains ofAlternaria solani.Phytopathology 35:483.Google Scholar
- Barksdale, T. H. (1968) A method of screening for resistance to early blight on tomato seedlings.Phytopathology 58:883. (Abstr.)Google Scholar
- Kunkel, L. O. (1918) A method of obtaining abundant sporulation in cultures ofMacrosporium solani E. & M.Brooklyn Bot. Garden Mem. I:306–312.Google Scholar
- Ludwig, R. A., L. T. Richardson &C. H. Unwin (1962) A method for inducing sporulation ofAlternaria solani in culture.Can. Plant Dis. Surv. 42:149–150.Google Scholar
- Lukens, R. J. (1960) Conidial production from filter paper cultures ofHelminthosporium vagans andAlternaria solani.Pathopathology 50:867–868.Google Scholar
- Lukens, R. J. (1966) Interference of low temperatures with the control of tomato early blight through use of nocturnal illumination.Phytopathology 56:1432–1433.Google Scholar
- McCallan, S. E. A. &S. Y. Chan (1944) Inducing sporulation ofAlternaria solani in culture.Contrib. Boyce Thompson Inst. 13:323–335.Google Scholar
- Rands, R. D. (1917) The production of spores ofAlternaria solani in pure culture.Phytopathology 7:316–317.Google Scholar