Failure to detect interfering agents in febrile respiratory illnesses
- 16 Downloads
Throat swab specimens from 57 military recruits with febrile respiratory illness in whom no virologic or serologic evidence of infection with respiratory viruses orMycoplasma pneumoniae was found were inoculated and passaged into fresh cultures of monkey kidney cells and continuous lines of human, simian and rabbit cells. Cultures of second passage were challenged with poliovirus type 2 or vaccinia virus and subsequently tested for interference by reading of cytopathic effect and titration of challenge virus. No interference was shown.
KeywordsRespiratory Illness Vaccinia Virus Kidney Cell Continuous Line Vaccinia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chanock, R. M., Mufson, M. A. andJohnson, K. M. 1965. Comparative biology and ecology of human virus and Mycoplasma respiratory pathogens. Progress Med. Virol.7: 208–252.Google Scholar
- Halstead, S. B., Sukhavachana, P. andNisalak, A. 1964. Assay of mouse adapted dengue viruses in mammalian cell cultures by an interference method. Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med.115: 1062–1068.Google Scholar
- Morimoto, T., Omori, T. andMatumoto, M. 1962. Interference of Russian spring summer encephalitis virus with Newcastle disease virus in cell culture of bovine embryonic kidney. Japan. J. Exptl. Med.32: 163–183.Google Scholar
- Oei, K. G. andvan der Veen, J. 1967. Epidemiological study of Coxsackie A-21 virus infections in military recruits. Am. J. Epidemiol. (in press).Google Scholar
- Parkman, P. D., Buescher, E. L. andArtenstein, M. S. 1962. Recovery of rubella virus from Army recruits. Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med.111: 225–230.Google Scholar
- Pfutz-de Jong, M., Mes, A. andvan der Veen, J. 1966. Susceptibility of cell lines of primate and nonprimate origin to certain human viruses. Antonie van Lecuwenhock32: 162–170.Google Scholar
- Reed, L. J. andMuench, H. 1938. A simple method of estimating fifty per cent endpoints. Am. J. Hyg.27: 493–497.Google Scholar
- Russell, P. K., Bellanii, J. A., Buescher, E. L. andMcCown, J. M. 1966. Challenge virus resistance and interferon produced in BS-C-1 cells by dengue virus. Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med.122: 557–561.Google Scholar