Thrombotic disorders of hemostasis in patients with deep vein thrombosis
- 17 Downloads
For 22 months we investigated the hemostatic status of 93 inpatients (44 male, and 49 female, average age 54.6 years) with a phlebographically objectified deep venous thrombosis of the leg or iliac veins. Corresponding blood samples were taken before, during, and after therapy. In 58 (62.4%) patients we found several kinds of disorders of hemostasis. There were deficiencies of the protein C, protein S, factor XII, antithrombin III, and the thrombocytes function. In most cases there was a single acquired deficiency of one of these factors. Only in one patient (1.07%) could we verify an inherited deficiency of factor XII. The most frequent disorder was a protein C deficiency in 32 (34.4%) patients. In 44 (47%) operatively treated patients we had postoperative complications such as rethrombosis, phlegmasia coerulea dolens, or development of skin necrosis during anticoagulant therapy in 12 (27.3%) cases. In 10 (83%) of these patients with complications we had found preoperatively a disorder of hemostasis. The statistical correlation between a preoperatively measured deficiency of the protein C and the relapse of deep vein thrombosis was significant (p=0.0026).
KeywordsPublic Health Blood Sample Postoperative Complication Deep Vein Thrombosis Venous Thrombosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alemany J, Montag H, Wozniak G (1993) Rezidivthrombosen nach chirurgischer Thrombektomie ilio-femoraler Thrombosen. Angio Archiv Bd 24:147–150.Google Scholar
- 2.Wozniak G, Montag H, Alemany J (1992) Das erweiterte Gerinnungs-Screening—Eine Notwendigkeit in der Diagnostik und Therapie der Thrombose? VASA (suppl) 35:92–93.Google Scholar
- 3.Bauer KA, Rosenberg RD (1991) The hypercoagulable state. In: Disorders of Hemostasis, Ratnoff OD, Forbes CD (eds). W.B. Saunders: Philadelphia, pp 267–291.Google Scholar
- 14.Fisher RA (1934) Statistical methods for research workers. Oliver and Boyd: London.Google Scholar
- 15.Harms V (1982) Biomathematik, Statistik und Dokumentation. Harms Verlag: Kiel.Google Scholar
- 16.Mammen EF, Barnhart MI, Selik NR, et al (1988) “Sticky Platelet Syndrom”: A congenital platelet abnormality predisposing to thrombosis? Folia Haematol 115(Leipzig):361–365.Google Scholar
- 17.Broekmans AW, Bertina RM, Loeliger EA, et al (1983) Protein C and the development of skin necrosis during anticoagulant therapy (Letter). Thromb Haemost 49:244.Google Scholar
- 19.Ucida K (1992) Influence of antibiotics on vitamin K metabolism. Ann Hematol 64(suppl):53.Google Scholar