Antibody-dependent and natural killer cytotoxicity in type 1 diabetes
- 24 Downloads
The antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity and the spontaneous cell-mediated cytotoxicity against Chang liver cells in relation to the levels of circulating K-cells (low affinity E-rosetting cells) were investigated in 23 newly diagnosed insulin-dependent (Type 1) diabetics, and in 17 unaffected islet cell antibody-positive subjects. Antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity was significantly increased in those newly diagnosed diabetics with K-cell levels greater than 2 SD above the mean of normal controls (p<0.02). A similar but not significant trend was also found in islet cell antibody-positive subjects with raised K-cells. Spontaneous cell-mediated cytotoxicity was not different in any of the groups. These results lend further support to the concept that antibody-dependent lymphocyte cytotoxicity is enhanced in Type 1 diabetes at diagnosis.
Key-wordsAntibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity (ADCC) Insulin-dependent (Type 1) diabetes Low affinity E-rosettes (K-cells) Spontaneous cell-mediated cytotoxicity (SCMC)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5).Cudworth A. G.: Current concepts of aetiology of Type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes - In:Bellingham A. J. (Ed.) Advanced Medicine, 16. Pitman Medical, Tunbridge Wells, 1980; p. 123.Google Scholar
- 8).Kay H. D., Bonnard G. D., West W. H., Herberman R. B.: A functional comparison of human Fc-receptor bearing lymphocytes active in natural cytotoxicity and antibody dependent cellular cytotoxicity - J. Immunol.118, 058, 1977.Google Scholar
- 10).Koren H. S., Williams M. S.: Natural killing and antibody dependent cellular cytotoxicity are mediated by different mechanisms and by different cells - J. Immunol.121, 956, 1978.Google Scholar
- 11).Kovithavongs T., Hoffman W. C., Dossetor J. B.: Effector cell activity in antibody mediated cell dependent immune lympholysis - J. Immunol.113, 178, 1974.Google Scholar
- 15).Pape G. P., Troye M., Perlmann P.: Characterization of cytolytic effector cells in peripheral blood of healthy individuals and cancer patients. Surface markers and K cell activity after separation of B cells and lymphocytes with Fc receptors by column fractionation - J. Immunol.118, 909, 1977.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16).Pozzilli P.,Andreani D.,Sensi M.,Wolf E.,Taylor M.,Bottazzo G. F.,Cudworth A. G.: K cell and antibody dependent cytotoxicity in autoimmune polyendocrine disease - 6th Int. Congr. of Endocrinology, Melbourne 1980; p. 529 (abstract).Google Scholar
- 17).Pozzilli P., Sensi M., Dean B. M., Gorsuch A. N., Cudworth A. G.: The importance of measuring Fc+ (Killer) cells in insulin-dependent (Type 1) diabetes - Acta diabet. lat.17, 119, 1980.Google Scholar
- 24).Ziegler H. K., Henney C. H. S.: Antibody dependent cytolytically active human leucocytes: an analysis of inactivation followingin vitro interaction with antibody coated target cells - J. Immunol.115, 500, 1975.Google Scholar