Effect of gamma radiation on folic acid and its cobalt complex solutions
- 47 Downloads
Gamma-radiolysis of folic acid and its cobalt complex were studied in aqueous solutions at doses ranged from 2 to 10 krad and from 2 to 10 Mrad using60Co source. The variations in their spectra of IR, UV, and visible due to their radiolysis were shown. Also the change in pH after radiolysis was determined. The results showed that decomposition of folic acid by gamma-radiation occurred without variation of pH. Fine measurements of pH for irradiated CoCl2 and cobalt-folic acid complex solutions can be utilized for dose determination in the studied range of 2–10 Mrad. IR spectra showed that addition of cobalt chloride to folic acid decreased its decomposition by gamma-radiation. This result proved the importance of addition of cobalt chloride in keeping foodstuffs, which contain folic acid, by irradiation. The mechanism for the effect of radiation on cobalt chloride and cobalt-folic acid complex was discussed.
KeywordsRadiation Chloride Physical Chemistry Aqueous Solution Cobalt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. M. ELLIOTT, L. E. BROWNELL, J. A. GROSS, J. Protozool., 1 (1954) 193.Google Scholar
- 2.L. ROSNER, Rept. US Army Quartermaster Corps Con. No. 2042-SER-56-SP, 1956.Google Scholar
- 3.A. L. SHENFFNER, H. SPECTOR, Radiation preservation of food, US Army Quartermaster Corp., 1957, Chap. 18, p. 159.Google Scholar
- 4.M. SJOSTEDT, L. E. ERICSON, Acta. Chem. Scand., 16 (1962) 1989.Google Scholar
- 5.H. A. El-NAGGAR, N. E. GEABAH, A. M. M. El-AASAR, Radiolysis and thermal decomposition of folic acid in aqueous solution 9th Intern. Congress for Statistics, Computer Science, Social and Demographic Research, 31 March–5 April, Ain-Shams University, 1984, p. 173.Google Scholar
- 6.M. LUCZAK, Effect of low and high gamma rays doses on some biological active components of whole milk powder (B1, B2, B12, and Biotin. Pocz. Inst. Prezem. Mlecz., Vol. 12, No. 1, 1970, p. 71, Chem. Abs., 75 (1971) 87226 Y.Google Scholar
- 7.M. B. HAFEZ, A. F. NAZMY, F. SALEM, M. M. El-DESSOUKY, J. Radioanal. Chem., 47 (1978) 115.Google Scholar
- 8.M. M. El-DESSOUKY, A. N. SHARAF El-DEEN, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 125 (1988) 481.Google Scholar
- 9.A. RINGBOM, Les complexes en chimie analytique, Dunod, Paris, 1967.Google Scholar
- 10.S. A. TURK, M. M. El-DESSOUKY, B. M. ABD-ELWAHAB, (1986). Minia J. Agric. Res. Devel., 8 (1986) No. 3, 987.Google Scholar