Overlapping connective tissue diseases in children
- 16 Downloads
Of 18 children with different connective tissue diseases four were found to have overlaps. Two presented features of SLE and PSS or SLE and PM and 2 had features of SLE, PSS and JRA. In two of them antiribonucleoprotein antibodies were detected by radical immunodiffusion. But these antibodies were also detected in a few children suffering from a single connective tissue disease. On the other hand, the six children with anti-RNP were not characterized by a particular clinical picture or a better prognosis; when compared to adults, no significant difference could be observed except that the Raynaud phenomenon, sausage fingers and myositis seemed less frequent in childhood. It may be concluded that combinations of connective tissue disease can occur in children but anti-RNP does not appear as a good biological marker.
Key wordsMCTD Anti-ENA Children
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Sharp, G.C. Mixed connective tissue disease. Bull Rheum Dis, 1974–75, 25, 828–831.Google Scholar
- 4.Sharp, G.C. Mixed connective tissue disease: current concepts. Arthritis Rheum, 1977, 20, S181-S186.Google Scholar
- 10.Appelboom, T., Kahn, M.F., Peltier, A.P. et al. Rhumatisme inflammatoire, syndrome de Raynaud, facteurs antinucléaires mouchetés et anticorps antiribonucléoprotéines: une nouvelle entité? Ann Med Interne, 1974, 125, 841–848.Google Scholar
- 11.Criteria for diagnosis and classification of rheumatic diseases: primer on the rheumatic diseases. 7th ed. Editors: Rodnan, G.P., Mc Ewen, C., Wallace, C.L. The Arthritis Foundation, New York 1973, pp 137–140.Google Scholar
- 12.Subcommittee for scleroderma criteria of the American Rheumatism Association: diagnostic and therapeutic criteria committee. Preliminary criteria for the classification of systemic sclerosis (scleroderma). Arthritis Rheum, 1980, 23, 581–590.Google Scholar
- 13.Sharp, G.C. Mixed connective tissue disease, arthritis and allied conditions. 9th ed. Editor: Mc Carty D.J., Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia 1979, pp. 734–741.Google Scholar
- 16.Baldassare, A., Weiss, T., Auclair, R. et al. Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) in children. Arthritis Rheum, 1976, 19, 788.Google Scholar