Geochemistry of Spodosols formed in holocene till, Norra Storfjället Massif, northern Sweden
- 40 Downloads
Silt and clay size fractions of soils, from a transect of six Spodosols formed in the Norra Storfjället Massif, were analyzed by neutron activation to determine the degree to which pedogenic processes have influenced the distribution of macro, micro and trace elements. The distributions of Mg, Ca and Fe, together with Co, Cr and other trace elements in the profiles, suggest the presence of different parent materials, with A and E horizons arising from an influx of aeolian sediment. Translocation processes, both physical and chemical, occurred in the soil concentrating Fe and Br in the spodic (Bs) horizons of the profiles. The rare earth elements (REEs) are predominantly associated with the heavy mineral fraction of the soil material. The distributions of chondrite normalized REEs patterns of the profiles indicate that light rare earth element (LREE) concentrations increase with horizon depth. The depletion of LREEs in the upper soil horizons confirms the presence of material that is chemically different from that in the lower horizons, thus indicating a distinct chemical difference from the local glacial deposits.
KeywordsSilt Holocene Neutron Activation Soil Horizon Heavy Mineral
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.Sveriges Meteorologiska och Hydroliska Institute, Norrkoping, Sweden, 1980.Google Scholar
- 12.W. C. Mahaney, J. R. Earl, V. Kalm, P. J. Julig, Mount. Res. Dev., 15 (1995) 165.Google Scholar
- 13.P. W. Birkeland, Soils and Geomorphology, Oxford University Press, New York, 1984, p. 14.Google Scholar
- 14.Soil Survey Staff, Soil Taxonomy, USDA, Washington, 1975.Google Scholar
- 15.R. L. Folk, Petrology of Sedimentary Rocks, University Station, Texas, 1968.Google Scholar
- 16.P. Day, in: Methods of Soil Analysis,C. A. Black (ed.), Madison, Wisc., 1965.Google Scholar
- 17.L. D. Whittig, in: Methods of Soil Analysis,C. A. Black (ed.), Madison, Wisc., 1965.Google Scholar
- 18.G. E. Schuman, M. A. Stanley, D. Knudsen, Soil Sci. Soc. Amer. Proc. 37 (1973) 480.Google Scholar
- 19.A. Walkley, C. A. Black, Soil Sci., 37 (1934) 29.Google Scholar
- 20.J. R. Earl-Goulet, Relict Spodosols above timberline as indicators of Middle Holocene palaeoenvironments Norra Storfjället massif, northern Sweden, unpublished MSc Thesis, York University, Canada, 1995.Google Scholar
- 23.G. Barker, Detrial heavy minerals in natural accumulates. Aust. Inst. Min, Metall., Melbourne, 1962.Google Scholar