The elimination of matrix effects in the determination of fluorine by proton induced prompt gamma-spectrometry
By measuring the yield of prompt gamma-rays, induced by energetic protons, the ratio of the ranges in sample and standard was used in the average cross-section method to determine fluorine. By spiking the sample with known amounts of a lithium compound, a nonanalyte element (absent from the sample), the appropriate ranges in the samples were determined by measuring the prompt gamma-rays induced in the non-analyte spike. Fluorine was determined in ores and ivory and the method was tested by analyzing the standard reference materials SRM 91, SRM 120c and SRM 694.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Lithium Inorganic Chemistry Reference Material Fluorine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. RICCI, R. L. HAHN, Anal. Chem., 37 (1965) 742; Anal. Chem., 39 (1967) 794.Google Scholar
- 2.C. OLIVIER, H. J. MORLAND, B. S. DE WET, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 123 (1988) 443.Google Scholar
- 3.C. OLIVIER, H. J. MORLAND, M. PEISACH, Nucl. Instr. Methods, B35 (1988) 263.Google Scholar
- 4.C. OLIVIER, H. J. MORLAND, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem. Lett., 146 (1990) 367.Google Scholar
- 5.C. OLIVIER, H. J. MORLAND, S. Afr. J. Chem., 43 (1990) 131.Google Scholar
- 6.J. F. ZIEGLER, J. P. BIERSACK, U. LITTLEMARK, The Stopping and Ranges in Solids, Vol. 1, Pergamon Press, New York, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.W. H. BRAGG, L. KLEEMAN, Philos. Mag., 10 (1905) 318.Google Scholar
- 8.D. GIHWALA, Analytical Application of Proton-Induced Prompt Photon Spectrometry, Doctoral Thesis, University of Cape Town, 1982.Google Scholar
- 9.C. OLIVIER, M. PEISACH, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 98 (1986) 443.Google Scholar
- 10.C. OLIVIER, M. PEISACH, H.J. MORLAND, B. S. DE WET, Radiochim. Acta, 42 (1987) 9.Google Scholar
- 11.H. J. MORLAND, C. OLIVIER, B. S. DE WET, M. PEISACH, Nucl. Instr. Methods, B35 (1988) 253.Google Scholar