Neutron activation analysis of LWR ion exchange mixed-bed resins for129I
- 37 Downloads
Iodine-129 was determined by neutron activation analysis (NAA) in mixed-bed ion exchange resins from four light water reactors (LWR), including two pressurized water reactors (PWR) and two boiling water reactors (BWR). Published procedures for NAA of129I in LWR resins were modified and adapted to the particular requirements of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR) irradiation system. Observed129I concentrations, ranging from 1E-09 to 4E-07 μCi/g, were about 1000 times lower than the beta-gamma detection limits currently reported.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Detection Limit Boiling Neutron Activation Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Low-Level Radioactive Waste Policy Amendment Act Public Law 99-240. Section 5. b. 1, Jan. 15, 1986.Google Scholar
- 2.United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Title 10, Chapter 1. Code of Federal Regulations (1988), section 61. 41.Google Scholar
- 3.F. P. BRAUER, Measurement Methods for Low-Level129I Determinations, PNL-SA-16788, 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.D. E. ROBERTSON et al.,129I.99Tc and14C in Reactor Coolant and Primary Cleanup Resins-Sampling, Analysis, and Data Considerations, BN-SA-3212, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.L. HAMMEL, Carolina Power and Light Power Co., private communication (April 10, 1992).Google Scholar
- 6.F. F. DYER et al., J. Trace Micropr. Techn., 6 (1988) No. 2, 247.Google Scholar
- 7.E. W. WALKER, J. R. PARRINGTON, F. FEINER, Nuclides and Isotopes, 14th ed., 1989, p. 32.Google Scholar
- 8.D. C. KOCHER, Radioactive Decay Data Tables, 1981, p. 131.Google Scholar
- 9.L. ROBINSON, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Fortran Programs to Conduct Parametric NAA with the Canberra AccuSpec Software System, 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.Science Applications International Corporation, Radioactive Sample Analysis Sheets, SAIC Project # 1-139-05-667, 1989.Google Scholar
- 11.Science Applications International Corporation, Radioactive Sample Analysis Sheets, SAIC Project # 1-139-05-261, 1988.Google Scholar