Uranium ore processing: Kinetics of the growth and dissolution of a potential host solid from a model surface
As part of an investigation concerning the fate of226Ra during uranium ore milling and long-term tailings storage, we have investigated the growth of potential host solids-barium sulfate and lead sulfate-on mica, a model surface. The kinetics of dissolution of barium sulfate-and of a barium sulfate solid containing228Ra as a trace component into 10−3M sulfuric acid were subsequently investigated using a flow-cell and radiotracer techniques. It was found that ther dissolution of both the barium sulfate host and the228Ra trace component was congruent. The dissolution reaction appears to be surface controlled.
KeywordsSulfate Inorganic Chemistry Uranium Milling Sulfuric Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. J. SNODGRASS, D. L. LUSH. P. McKEE, R. WALKER, An approach to the calculation of dose commitment arising from different methods for the long-term management of uranium tailings-technical appendix. Atomic Energy Control Board Report INFOR-0097, 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.J. M. SKEAFF, Survey of the occurrence of226Ra in the Rio Algom Quirke 1 uranium mill Elliot Lake, CANMET Dept. of Energy Mines and Resources Report No. 77-36 (IR), 1977.Google Scholar
- 3.W. J. SNODGRASS, J. L. ROBERTSON, Hydrochemical Studies on WTC Lysimeter Tailings. Report for CANMET, 1983.Google Scholar
- 4.T. CONSTABLE, W. J. SNODGRASS, Leachability of radioactive constituents from uranium mill tailings-Final report, Environment Canada, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.W. J. SNODGRASS, O. E. HILEMAN, On the geochemical mechanism controlling Ra-226 dissolution in uranium mill wastes (tailings). Report for National Uranium Tailing Program, Energy Mines and Resources, Government of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Contract No. 23241-4-1678, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.W. J. SNODGRASS, Study of Radiobarites in Uranium Mill Tailings. Report for National Uranium Tailings Program, Energy Mines and Resources, Government of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Contract No. 23317-5-1721, 1986.Google Scholar
- 8.C. R. PAIGE, O. E. HILEMAN, W. J. SNODGRASS, Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 127 (1988) 341Google Scholar
- 9.C. R. PAIGE, O. E. HILEMAN, W. A. KORNICKER, W. J. SNODGRASS, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 135 (1989) 299.Google Scholar
- 10.C. R. PAIGE, O. E. HILEMAN, W. A. KORNICKER, W. J. SNODGRASS, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 159 (1992) 37.Google Scholar
- 11.C. R. PAIGE, W. A. KORNICKER, O. E. HILEMAN, W. J. SNODGRASS, Intern. J. Environ. Anal. Chem., 37 (1989) 29.Google Scholar
- 12.E. BROWN, R. B. FIRESTONE, Table of Radioactive Isotopes, V. S. SHIRLEY (Ed.) Wiley-Interscience, 1986, p. 228.Google Scholar
- 14.G. A. KITAEV, S. G. MOKRUSHIN, A. A. URITSKAYA, Colloid J. USSR 27 (1965) 38.Google Scholar