A simple preparation of calibration curve standards of134Cs and137Cs by serial dilution of a standard reference material
Two sets of calibration standards for134Cs and137Cs were prepared by small serial dilution of a natural matrix standard reference material, IAEA-154 whey powder. The first set was intended to screen imported milk powders which were suspected to be contaminated with134Cs and137Cs. Therefore the concentration range of the calibration standards were about 40–400 Bq/kg. The precision of the preparation of the standard with about 7 Bq/kg of134Cs and 39 Bq/kg of137Cs at measurement time was 7.4% and 3.2%, respectively. The preparation of a similar standard by spiking the matrix with radioisotope solutions resulted in a poorer precision, about double that of the former technique. The other set of calibration standards was prepared to measure the environmental levels of137Cs in commercial Venezuelan milk powders. Their concentration ranged from 3–10 Bq/kg of137Cs. The accuracy of these calibration curves was checked by using IAEA-152 and A-14 milk powders. Their measured values were in good agreement with their certified values. Finally, it is shown that these preparation techniques by serial dilution of a standard reference material were simple, rapid, precise, accurate and cost-effective.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Calibration Curve Serial Dilution Measurement Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. DIAZ, Informe de Radioactividad de134Cs and137Cs en Leche en Polvo, Departamento de Radiofísica Sanitaria, IVIC, Enero 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.Measurement of Radionuclides in Food and the Environment, A Guidebook, Technical Report Series No. 295, International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, Austria, 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.Gaceta Oficial, República de Venezuela, Jueves 30 de Julio de 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.AQCS, Intercomparison Runs, Reference Materials, Analytical Quality Control Services, International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, Austria, 1989.Google Scholar
- 5.K. BOROWSKI, I. L. PRIESS, J. J. LABRECQUE, C. PAULEY, Computer Enhanced Spectros., 1 (1983) 99.Google Scholar