Extraction of uranium(VI) and plutonium(IV) with some high molecular weight aliphatic monoamides from nitric acid medium
The extraction behavior of U(VI) and Pu(IV) with dioctyloctanamide (DOOA), dioctylethylhexanamide (DOEHA) and diisobutylethylhexanamide (DIBEHA) was investigated from nitric acid medium. With DOOA, U(VI) extraction is higher than that for Pu(IV) upto 5M HNO3 and the trend is reversed at higher acid concentrations. Extraction yield of U(VI) is higher than that for Pu(IV) in the case of DOEHA and DIBEHA. DIBEHA extraction of Pu(IV) is found to be very small. The lower value of the distribution ratio for Pu(IV) with branched amides was attributed to steric reasons. The possibility of using these amides for separation of U(VI) and Pu(IV) without valency adjustment was explored. Both U(VI) and Pu(IV) are extracted as their disolvates by DOOA and DOEHA.
KeywordsMolecular Weight Physical Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Amide Uranium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. R. PRABHU, G. R. MAHAJAN, G. M. NAIR, M. S. SUBRAMANIAN, Radiochim. Acta, 60 (1993) 109.Google Scholar
- 2.P. B. RUIKAR, M. S. NAGAR, S. A. PAI, M. S. SUBRAMANIAN, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 153 (1992) 473.Google Scholar
- 3.G. M. NAIR, D. R. PRABHU, G. R. MAHAJAN, J. P. SHUKLA, Solvent. Extr. Ion Exch., 11 (1993) 83.Google Scholar
- 4.G. M. NAIR, D. R. PRABHU, G. R. MAHAJAN, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 186 (1994) 47.Google Scholar
- 5.M. S. MURALI, G. M. NAIR, J. P. SHUKLA, P. R. NATARAJAN, BARC Report-I-986, 1989.Google Scholar
- 6.N. CONDAMINES, C. MUSIKAS, Solvent Extr. Ion Exch., 10 (1992) 69.Google Scholar
- 7.G. THEOLLET, C. MUSIKAS, Solvent Extr. Ion Exch., 7 (1989) 813.Google Scholar
- 8.W. H. BALDWIN, C. E. HIGGINS, J. M. SHMITT, USAEC-Report, ORNL-3679, 1965, p. 56.Google Scholar
- 10.A. RAMANUJAM, M. N. NADKARNI, V. V. RAMAKRISHNA, S. K. PATIL, J. Radioanal. Chem., 42 (1978) 349.Google Scholar
- 11.S. A. PAI, J. P. SHUKLA, P. K. KHOPKAR, M. S. SUBRAMANIAN, J. Radioanal. Chem., 42 (1978) 323.Google Scholar