Determination of Np, Pu and Am in high level radioactive waste with extraction-liquid scintillation counting
- 78 Downloads
A new method for the determination of transuranium elements, Np, Pu and Am with extraction-liquid scintillation counting has been studied systematically. Procedures for the separation of Pu and Am by HDEHP-TRPO extraction and for the separation of Np by TTA-TiOA extraction have been developed, by which the recovery of Np, Pu and Am is 97%, 99% and 99%, respectively, and the decontamination factors for the major fission products (90Sr,137Cs etc.) are 104–106. Pulse shape discrimination (PSD) technique has been introduced to liquid scintillation counting, by which the counting efficiency of α-activity is >99% and the rejection of β-counts is >99.95%. This new method, combining extraction and pulse shape discrimination with liquid scintillation technique, has been successfully applied to the assay of Np, Pu and Am in high level radioactive waste.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Liquid Scintillation Radioactive Waste Scintillation Counting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. J. McDOWELL, Alpha Liquid Scintillation Counting: Past, Present, and Future, in: Liquid Scintillation Counting: Recent Applications and Developments, C. T. PENG, D. L. HORROCKS, and E. L. ALPEN (Eds), Academic Press, New York, 1980, p. 315.Google Scholar
- 2.W. J. McDOWEL, Alpha Counting and Spectrometry Using Liquid Scintillation Methods, NAS-NS-3116, 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.J. W. McDOWEL, G. N. CASE, Separation and Methods for Alpha Assay by Liquid Scintillation, in Chemical Aspects of Nuclear Methods of Analysis, IAEA-TECDOC-350, Vienna, 1985, p. 33.Google Scholar
- 5.DAZHU YANG, et al. J.Radioanal Nucl. Chem., 143 (1991) 177.Google Scholar
- 6.DAZHU YANG, et al., J. Radioanal Nucl. Chem., 144 (1990) 63.Google Scholar
- 7.DAZHU YANG, Study on determination of transuranium elements with extraction-liquid scintillation counting and its application to assay of Np, Pu, and Am in high level radioactive waste, Ph.D. Thesis, Tsinghua University, Beijing P.R. China, 1991.Google Scholar