Determination of fluoride in human nails via cyclic instrumental neutron activation analysis
- 40 Downloads
The role of fluorine in human health has become somewhat controversial. It is widely accepted as protective against dental caries, may be protective against osteoporosis, and has been very conservatively implicated with osteosarcoma in male rats. In this study, we repot on the development of a neutron activation analysis method and its application to the analysis of human nails. We have found that toenails collected in population-based epidemiology studies apparently reflect fluoride intake.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Osteoporosis Inorganic Chemistry Fluoride Epidemiology Study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. J. MELTON III. Epidemiology of fractures, in: B. L. RIGGS, L. J. MELTON, III (Eds.), Osteoporosis: Etiology, Diagnosis, and Management, Raven Press, New York, 1988, p. 133.Google Scholar
- 2.T. L. HOLBROOK, K. GRAZIER, J. L. KELSEY, et al., The Frequency of Occurrence, Impact, and Cost of Selected Musculoskeletal Conditios in the United States, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Chicago, IL, 1984, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 3.E. F. ERIKSON, S. D. HODGSON, B. L. RIGGS, Treatment of osteoporosis with sodium fluoride, in: B. L. RIGGS, L. J. MELTON, III (Eds), Osteoporosis: Etiology, Diagnosis, and Management, Raven Press, New York, 1988, 415.Google Scholar
- 4.L. J. MELTON III, J. Bone Min. Res. Res., 5 (Suppl 1) (1990) 163.Google Scholar
- 5.D. S. Bernstein, N. Sadowsky, D. M. Hegsted, C. D. Guri, F. J. Stave, Prevalence of Osteoporosis in High and Low Fluoride Areas in North Dakota, JAMA, Vol. 198, No. 5, October 31, 1966.Google Scholar
- 6.O. SIMONEN, O. LAITINEN, Lancet, August 24 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.B. L. RIGGS, S. F. HODGSON, W. M. O'FALLOM, E. Y. S. CHAO, H. W. WAHNER, et al., New England J. Med., March 22 (1990) 802.Google Scholar
- 9.T. L. HOLBROOK, E. BARRETT-CONNOR, D. L. WINGARD, Lancet, November 5 (1988) 1046Google Scholar
- 10.National Toxicology Program, Toxicology and Carcinogenesis of Sodium Fluoride in F344/N Rats and B6C3F1 Mice, Technical Report Series 393, NIH Publication No. 90-2848, 1990.Google Scholar
- 11.C. F. BELANGER, C. H. HENNEKENS, B. ROSNER, F. E. SPEIZER, Am. J. Nursing, (June 1978) 1039.Google Scholar