Hydrogen production in α-irradiated bentonite
- 44 Downloads
The hydrogen production in α-irradiated (dose rate 0.73 Gy·s−1), compacted, water-saturated bentonite (ρ=2.12 g·cm−3) has been determined experimentally, using a gas-chromatographic technique. Hydrogen concentration in the clay pore water and hydrogen diffusion out of the irradiated bentonite have been calculated using a homogeneous reaction model. The calculated hydrogen transport out of the bentonite depends on the Fe2+ and HCO 3 − concentration in the pore water. Agreement between experimental and calculated results can be obtained if it is assumed that a 20 μm layer of water is formed between, the clay and the α-source.
KeywordsHydrogen Clay Bentonite Pore Water Dose Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. I. SPITSYN, B. D. BALUKOVA, M. K. SAVUSHKINA, Influence of Irradiation with Gamma-quanta and Beam of Accelerated Electrons on the Sorption Parameters of Clay Minerals of the Montmorrillonite Group, in S. TOPP (Ed.) Scientific Basis for Nuclear Waste Management Vol 4, Elsevier, New York, 1982, p. 703.Google Scholar
- 2.D. B. CURTIS, A. J. GANCARZ, Radiolysis in nature: Evidence from the Oklo natural reactors, KBS-TR 83-10, 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.I. NERETNIEKS, The movement of a redox front downstream from a repository for nuclear waste, KBS-TR 82-16, 1982.Google Scholar
- 4.I. NERETNIEKS, B. ÅSLUND, Two-dimensional movements of a redox front downstream from repository for nuclear waste, KBS-TR 83-68, 1983.Google Scholar
- 5.T. E. ERIKSEN, A. JACOBSSON, Radiation effects on the chemical environment in a radioactive waste repository, KBS-TR 83-27, 1982.Google Scholar
- 6.H. CHRISTENSEN, E. BJERGBAKKE, Radiolysis of ground water from HWL stored in copper canisters, KBS-TR 82-02, 1982.Google Scholar
- 7.P. COHEN, Water coolant technology of power reactors, Gordon and Breach, New York, 1969.Google Scholar
- 10.H. CHRISTENSEN, E. BJERGBAKKE, Radiolysis of ground water from spent fuel, KBS-TR 82-18, 1982, p. 16.Google Scholar
- 11.H. CHRISTENSEN, Nukleonik, 8 (1996) 121.Google Scholar
- 12.T. E. ERIKSEN, A. JACOBSSON, T. CARLSSON, Progress Report 1986-05-29.Google Scholar