Solvent extraction of uranium(VI) by LIX-54 and its mixtures
- 38 Downloads
Studies on solvent extraction of uranium(VI) by a commercially available chelating extractant LIX-54 (a β-diketone derivative) (HA) and its mixtures with tri-n-butyl phosphate (TBP) in benzene diluent show quantitative extraction by a mixture of 5% LIX-54 and 5% TBP at pH 4.3. Influence of different proportions of LIX-54 or TBP in the mixtures on the extraction of the same metal ion has been studied. Pronounced synergism has been observed. The composition of the extracted species seems to be [UO2(OH)(A)(HA)(TBP)] as determined from slope analysis. Slopes of the linear plots were computed employing regression analysis and variance in results has been shown.
KeywordsPhosphate Physical Chemistry Benzene Inorganic Chemistry Uranium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. M. RITCEY, A. W. ASHBROOK, Solvent Extraction, Vol. 2. Principles and Applications of Process Metallurgy, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1979.Google Scholar
- 2.A. K. DE, S. M. KHOPKAR, R. A. CHALMERS, Solvent Extraction of Metals, Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., London, 1970.Google Scholar
- 3.T. SEKINE, Y. HASEGAWA, Solvent Extraction Chemistry-Fundamentals and Applications, Marcel-Dekker, New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- 4.C. R. PANDA, V. CHAKRAVORTTY, K. C. DASH, Ind. J. Chem., 24A (1985) 807; Solv. Ext. Ion Exch., 3 (1985) 857; J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem. Lett., 108 (1986) 65.Google Scholar
- 5.S. SINGH, C. R. PANDA, V. CHAKRAVORTTY, K. C. DASH, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 120 (1988) 65.Google Scholar
- 6.A. W. ASHBROOK, Coord. Chem., Rev. 16 (1975) 285.Google Scholar
- 7.K. ALCOCK, S. S. GRIMLEY, T. V. HEALY, J. KENNEDY, H. A. C. McKAY, Trans. Faraday Soc., 52 (1956) 39.Google Scholar
- 8.U. S. RAY, S. C. MODAK, J. Ind. Chem. Soc., 58 (1981) 38.Google Scholar
- 9.S. K. MOHANTY, R. K. SAHOO, V. CHAKRAVORTTY, Chem. Educ., 4 (1988). 65.Google Scholar
- 10.C. F. BAES, R. F. MESMER, The Hydrolysis of Cations, John Wiley, New York, 1976.Google Scholar
- 11.R. N. SYLVA, M. R. DAVIDSON, J. Chem. Soc. Dalton, (1979) 465.Google Scholar