Inter-laboratory comparisons: Determination of actinides in excreta
- 33 Downloads
Inter-laboratory tests are a means of assessing the analytical coherence of medical laboratories. In radiotoxicology, this kind of exercise makes it possible to keep up with laboratory know-how and with the evolution and relative performances of analytical techniques (precision and reproducibility). However, the goal of the laboratories taking part in these annual exercises is not only to check the accuracy of their results. The analytical discussions and the chance to compare experiences enrich the group's general competence.
French biologists have been organizing annual radiotoxicology intercomparison exercises since 1978. The exercises are carried out within the framework of a working group (GT1) operating under the aegis of the French Atomic Energy Commission's (CEA) Medical Coordinator. Using reports and diagrams which present the results obtained by the participants in the form of syntheses, the authors describe how the exercises for determining actinides in excreta (urine and faeces) are organized, how the results are evaluated in terms of the analytical methods used, and the improvements made in analytical and metrological performance.
Up until 1985, these exercises were limited to French laboratories. Since then, the exercises have acquired an international dimension, opening up to include interested foreign radiochemists, initially from European laboratories, and now from laboratories worldwide. At the present time, 35 laboratories representing 9 countries take part regularly in these intercomparison exercises.
KeywordsInorganic Chemistry Coherence Working Group Relative Performance Analytical Discussion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Radiotoxicological intercomparison organized by the CEA group in France, J.C. HARDUIN, G. BATALLER, C. CHEVALIER, J. PIECHOWSKI, 1989, internal diffusion.Google Scholar
- 2.Annual report of the results of intercomparisons, presented in Dijon, 1990, internal diffusion.Google Scholar
- 3.Annual report of the results of intercomparisons, presented in Paris, 1991, internal diffusion.Google Scholar
- 4.Annual report of the results of intercomparisons, presented in Aix en Provence, 1992, internal diffusion.Google Scholar
- 5.Annual report of the results of intercomparisons, presented in Cherbourg, 1993, internal diffusion.Google Scholar
- 6.Annual report of the results of intercomparisons, presented in Faringdon, 1994, internal diffusion.Google Scholar