γ-Radiolysis of isobutanol and nitrate in aqueous solution
- 41 Downloads
Radiolysis of isobutanol-nitrate aqueous solutions has been investigated in both aerated and deoxygenated solutions. Nitrate acts as a good scavenger for hydrated electrons. It gets reduced to nitrite during radiolysis. Alcohol, on the other hand, is used as a hydroxyl radical scavenger leading to the formation of aldehyde as the stable product. Nitrite, aldehyde and hydrogen peroxide formed as the stable products have been estimated in each system. Concentrations of both species (nitrate and alcohol) in the aqueous solution affect the yield of the products significantly. The observed G-values of the different products are accounted for by the mechanism proposed.
KeywordsHydrogen Alcohol Nitrate Physical Chemistry Aqueous Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.H. P. SCHUCHMANN, C. VON SONNTAG, Radiat. Phys. Chem., 32 (1988) 149.Google Scholar
- 4.J. T. ALLAN, J. Phys. Chem., 68 (1964) 2697.Google Scholar
- 7.G. G. JAYSON, G. SCHOLES, J. WIESS, J. Chem. Soc., 1358 (1957).Google Scholar
- 8.M. B. SHINN, Ind. Eng. Chem., (Anal. Ed.) 14 (1941) 312.Google Scholar
- 11.S. F. PATIL, A. G. BEDEKAR, R. M. PATIL J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 157 (1992) 373.Google Scholar