Determination of the chloride and fluoride contents in the ebrie lagoon and the underground waters in ivory Coast by means of X-ray fluorescence analysis and potentiometric method
This study is devoted to the determination of percentages of fluoride and chloride in Ebrié located in Abidjan and wells located in the central and southern areas of Ivory Coast. Nondispersive X-Ray Fluorescence method and potentometric method with ion sensitive electrodes have been used. For underground water, the concentrations obtained are, with the exception of some isolated cases, lower than the upper limits tolerated for drinking water. These waters are drinkable. In a lagunal environment, the results show that the elements drawn from the bottom of the sea, through the Vridi Canal, spread in the lagoon. The ratio of the concentration of elements and the corresponding salinity confirm the fact that chloride undergoes an essential dilution in the lagoon due to contact with continental waters. A semi-diurnal periodicity of the concentration of elements has been firmly established. This period is the same as the tidal one.
KeywordsChloride Inorganic Chemistry Fluoride Drinking Water Underground Water
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. J. M. BOWEN, Trace elements in Biochemistry, Academic Press, London and New York, 1966.Google Scholar
- 3.J. HARDIN, B. SCHLEIEN, Proc. Symp. Salzburg, 26–30 October, IAEA, 1970.Google Scholar
- 4.T. MOODY, J. D. R. THOMAS, Selective Ion Sensitive Ion Sensitive Electrodes, Publishing Co. Ltd., 1971.Google Scholar
- 5.F. H. HELFFERICH, Ion exchange, New York, Mac Graw Hill, 1960.Google Scholar
- 6.I. HAHAN, Thesis, Institut National Polytechnique, Grenoble, France, 1989.Google Scholar
- 7.G. M. FAIR, J. M. GEYER, Water and Waste Water Engineering, Vol. 2, 1954, Ch. 19, p. 13.Google Scholar
- 8.Index Médical de Vichy, Société des Sciences Médicales de Vichy, Vichy Imprimerie, Wallon, France, 1965.Google Scholar
- 9.J. RODOER, L'analyse de l'eau, Dunod Technique, France, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.A. DEFANT, Physical Oceanography, Pergamon Press, Oxford-London, 1961.Google Scholar
- 11.Instruction for YSI Model 33 and 33M S-CT Meters.Google Scholar
- 12.P. R. BALLA, Thesis, I. N. P. Toulouse, 1970.Google Scholar
- 13.Service hydrographique, Port Autonom, Abidjan, Côte-d'Ivoire (unpublished).Google Scholar