108mAg and110mAg in Crassostrea gigas
- 39 Downloads
Accumulation of radiosilver108mAg and110mAg in oysters (Crassostrea gigas) and their behavior in marine environments has been studied in the northeast Pacific coast in Japan. Enrichment of radiosilver in oysters depends on topographical conditions; significant bioaccumulation occurred in open bays, while it was hardly observed in bays with narrow shaped entrances. From these observations difference of the behavior of radiosilver between open and nearly closed bays is suggested.110mAg in oysters decayed with an effective halflife of about 150 days for both the Chinese nuclear weapon test and the Chernobyl accident. In contrast to radiosilver, the fission product nuclide137Cs was almost independent of topographical conditions, and its concentration was constant.110mAg bioaccumulation in oysters after the Chernobyl accident in 1986 was found in both open and nearly closed bays, the latter showing much lower concentration of radiosilver than the former. Specific activity of108mAg in oysters was determined in bays open to the Pacific Oceans.
KeywordsJapan Inorganic Chemistry Halflife Pacific Ocean Marine Environment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. BROWNE, R. B. FIRESTONE, Table of Radioactive Isotopes, Jone Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- 4.H. FUKATSU, H. HIGUCHI, Hoshasen Kagaku, 28 (1985) 201 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 15.K. WATANABE, Y. SATO, Bull. Miyagi Pref. Fisheries, 6 (1972) 167 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 16.A. HATTORI, T. HIRANO, Environmental Oceanology, Vol. 3, S. HORIBE (Ed.), 1979, p. 169.Google Scholar
- 17.K. YOSHIHARA, H. KUDO, T. SEKINE, Periodic Table with Nuclides and Reference Data, Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, 1985.Google Scholar
- 18.Miyagi Prefectural Fisheries, Annual Report of Marine Environment Research for 1986 (No. 33).Google Scholar
- 19.Miyagi Prefecture, Tohoku Electric Power Company, Measurements of Warm Drainage Water of Onagawa Nuclear Power Station for 1986.Google Scholar
- 20.Y. SUGIMURA, Y. SUZUKI, Y. MIYAKE, Proc. of the 3rd NEA Seminar on Marine Radioecology, Oct. 1979, Tokyo, p. 131.Google Scholar
- 21.Japan Chemical Analysis Center, Report of the Concentrations of60Co and Stable Cobalt in Marine Organisms in Japan (No. 11), 1989.Google Scholar
- 22.The International Commission on Radiological Protection, ICRP Publication No. 30, Pergamon Press, 1980.Google Scholar