N,N,N′,N′-tetrabutylsuccinylamide as a new extractant in n-dodecane for extraction of uranium(VI) and thorium(IV) ions
N,N,N′,N′-tetrabutylsuccinylamide (TBSA) was synthesized, characterised and used for the extraction of U(VI) and Th(IV) from nitric acid solutions into n-dodecane. Extraction distribution coefficients of U(VI) and Th(IV) as a function of aqueous nitric acid concentration, extractant concentration and temperature have been measured and found that n-dodecane as diluent was superior to 50% 1,2,4-trimethyl benzene (TMB) and 50% kerosene, (OK) system for extraction of U(VI) and Th(IV). The compositions of extracted species, equilibrium constants and enthalpies of extraction reactions have also been calculated. The formation of the 1∶2∶1 complex of uranyl(II) ion or the 1∶4∶1 complex of thorium(IV) ion, nitrate ion and TBSA and extracted species was further confirmed by the IR spectra of saturated extract of U(IV) and Th(IV).
KeywordsEnthalpy Benzene Uranium Nitric Acid Uranyl
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Q. Z. Tian, M. A. Hughes, Proc. ISEC'93, Vol. 1, SCI Elsevier Applied Science, London & New York, 1993, p. 404.Google Scholar
- 3.C. Musikas, Sep. Sci. Technol., 23 (1988) 1211.Google Scholar
- 4.G. M. Nair, D. R. Prabhu, G. R. Mahajan et al., Sol. Extr. Ion Exch, 11 (1993) 813.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. S. Wang, C. H. Shen, J. K. Zhu et al., J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 212 (1996) 101.Google Scholar
- 6.Y. S. Wang, C. H. Shen, Y. H. Yang et al., J. Radioanal Nucl. Chem., 213 (1996) 199.Google Scholar
- 7.Y. S. Wang, G. X. Sun, D. F. Xie et al., J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 214 (1996) 67.Google Scholar
- 8.R. S. Stanley, K. Wolp, Organic Functional Group Preparation, Vol. 1, Academic Press, New York, 1968, 277.Google Scholar
- 9.Y. J. Yin, Handbook of College Chemistry, Shandong Science and Technology Press, Jinan, 1985, p. 302 (in, Chinese).Google Scholar