Lesser curve photoseromyolysis with the Nd-YAG laser
- 22 Downloads
We confirmed in animal experiments that the Nd-YAG laser can be used to replace conventional surgical techniques for duodenal ulcer disease—lesser curve seromyotomy, as proposed by Taylor. The experiments suggest that the operative time may be halved using the laser. We confirmed that the ideal laser parameters for this technique were: wavelength 1319nm and power output 15 W, using a contact sapphire tip, with repeated pulses of 0.25 s. Histological studies were performed to show the effect of the laser on the stomach wall and on the vagus nerve. It was shown that the pH was elevated from 1.3 to 6.9 or even higher.
The first successful operation on man with this technique was performed in May 1989.
Key wordsNd-YAG laser Lesser curve photoseromyolysis Duodenal ulcer Non endoscopic method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hooks VH, III. Highly selective vagotomy. A closer look at the technique.Amer Surg 1983,49:517–22Google Scholar
- 3.Hunter JG, Dixon JA. Lesser curvature laser myotomy: a potential treatment for peptic ulcer.Am Soc Las Surg Med 1984,4(3):362Google Scholar
- 5.Joffe SN, Oguro Y.Advances in Nd-YAG Laser Surgery. New York: Springer-Verlag 1988:30–41Google Scholar
- 6.Kiefhaber P, Nath G, Moritz K. Endoscopical control of massive gastrointestinal haemorrhage by irradiation with a high-power Neodymium-YAG laser.Progr Surg 1977,15:140–55Google Scholar
- 7.Mimura K, Kadota T, Kanabe S et al. An experimental study of selective proximal gastric vagotomy with carbon dioxide laser.J Natl Def Med Coll 1982,7(3):179–84Google Scholar
- 8.Sankar MY, Vallgren SB, Brackett KM et al. Vagolysis and mucosal antrectomy by contact intragastric Nd:YAG laser photoradiation.Laser/Optoelectronics in Medicine. Springer-Verlag 1986, 2nd International Nd:YAG Conference, 396–401Google Scholar
- 9.Schonekas H, Wild I, Trump F. Bleeding ulcers, results with Nd:YAG laser coagulation. In: Waidelich W, Kiefhaber P (eds)Laser/Optoelectronics in Medicine. Springer-Verlag 1986:317–22Google Scholar
- 10.Schwarz CD, Klepetko W, Miholic J et al. Morphologische aspekte der humanen in vivo magenwand nach laser-koagulation.Lasers Surg Med 1987,3:151–5Google Scholar
- 11.Taylor TV. Lesser curve myotomy. An experimental study.Ann Surg 1980,4:414–8Google Scholar