Postoperative wound infection in rheumatoid arthritis surgery
- 32 Downloads
The purpose of this study was to determine whether any of a number of factors studied correlated with the incidence of postoperative infection in rheumatoid patients, which is regarded as high. Data relating to all early postoperative infections between 1975 and 1978, 136 cases in all, were analysed together with data relating to two control series, one matched for sex, age and operation type, the other randomly chosen. The infection rate overall was 1.7%. The type of antirheumatic medication used did not influence the incidence of infection. Unrelated post-operative infections in the past correlated with risk of infection. Highly significant differences in the incidence of infection between the various types of operation were demonstrated.
Key wordsRheumatoid Arthritis Surgery Wound Healing Wound Infection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Steinbrocker, O., Traeger, C.H., Batterman, R.C. Therapeutic criteria in rheumatoid arthritis. JAMA 1949, 140, 659–662.Google Scholar
- 2.Uddin, J., Kraus, A.S., Kelly, H.G. Survivorship and death in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 1970, 13, 125–130.Google Scholar
- 3.Karten, I. Septic arthritis complicating rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Intern Med, 1969, 70, 1147–1158.Google Scholar
- 4.Kellgren, J.H., Ball, J., Fairbrother, R.W., Barnes, K.L. Suppurative arthritis complicating rheumatoid arthritis. Br Med J, 1958, 1, 1193–1200.Google Scholar
- 5.Garner, W., Mowat, A.G. Wound healing after operations on patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Bone Joint Surg, (Br.) 1973, 55, 134–143.Google Scholar
- 6.Charnley, J., Eftekhar, N. Postoperative infection in total prosthetic replacement arthroplasty of the hip joint. Br J Surg, 1969, 56, 641–649.Google Scholar
- 7.Freeman, P.A., Bryson, T.W. Total hip-joint replacement in osteoarthritis and polyarthritis. Clin Orthop, 1973, 95, 224–243.Google Scholar
- 8.Poss, R., Ewald, F.C., Sledge, C.B. Complications of total hip-replacement arthroplasty in patients with rheumaoid arthritis. J Bone Joint Surg, (Am.) 1976, 58, 1130–1133.Google Scholar
- 9.Ad Hoc Committee of the National Research Council. Postoperative wound infection. Ann Surg, 1964, suppl. 2.Google Scholar
- 10.Mitchell, C., Ehrlich, M.G., Siffert, R.S. Comparative bacteriology of early and late orthopaedic infections. Clin Orthop, 1973, 96, 277–287.Google Scholar
- 11.Laine, V., Vainio, K. Möglichkeiten, begrenzungen und aussichten der chrirurgischen behandlung des entzündlichen rheumatismus. Z Rheumatol, 1965, 3/4, 81–90.Google Scholar