Tandem queues with deterministic service times
- 85 Downloads
In this paper we consider a tandem queueing model for a sequence of multiplexers at the edge of an ATM network. All queues of the tandem queueing model have unit service times. Each successive queue receives the output of the previous queue plus some external arrivals. For the case of two queues in series, we study the end-to-end delay of a cell (customer) arriving at the first queue, and the covariance of its delays at both queues. The joint queue length process at all queues is studied in detail for the 2-queue and 3-queue cases, and we outline an approach to the case of an arbitrary number of queues in series.
KeywordsCovariance Service Time Arbitrary Number Queue Length Unit Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M.A. Kaplan, A two-fold tandem net with deterministic links and source interference, Oper. Res. 28 (1980) 512–526.Google Scholar
- A. Khamisy and M. Sidi, Discrete-time priority queueing systems with two-state Markov modulated arrival processes, in:Proc. IEEE Infocom '91, Bal Harbour, FL, USA (April 1991) pp. 1456–1463.Google Scholar
- J.A. Morrison, A combinatorial lemma and its application to concentrating trees of discrete-time queues, Bell Syst. Tech. J. 57 (1978) 1645–1652.Google Scholar
- J.A. Morrison, Two discrete time queues in tandem, IEEE Trans. Commun. COM-27 (1979) 563–573.Google Scholar
- M. Shalmon and M.A. Kaplan, A tandem network of queues with deterministic service and intermediate arrivals, Oper. Res. 32 (1984) 753–773.Google Scholar