Anticardiolipin antibodies in patients with infectious diseases
- 35 Downloads
IgG or IgM anticardiolipin antibodies were present in the sera of 67% of 33 patients with Hansen 's disease, in 53 % of 30 patients with tuberculosis and in 50% of 16 patients with endocarditis. Despite the high frequency of these antibodies, no patient had a history of thrombosis or abortion. Antidenatured DNA antibodies were tested in patients with tuberculosis and patients with Hansen 's disease. Only in the latter group did we observe a statistically significant association between anticardiolipin and antidenatured DNA antibodies. Anticardiolipin binding activity, however, could not be inhibited by preincubation of sera with a variable concentration of denatured DNA. These data suggest that: a) Anticardiolipin antibodies in infectious diseases do not necessarily participate in the pathogenesis of thrombotic or obstetric complications; b) Anti-denatured DNA and anticardiolipin antibodies in the population studied do not have a crossreaction.
Key wordsAnticardiolipin Antibodies Endocarditis Leprosy Tuberculosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Harris, E.N., Gharavi, A.E., Boey, M.L., et al. Anticardiolipin antibodies: Detection by a new solid phase radioimmunoassay: striking association with thrombosis. Ann rheum Dis 1984, 43, 122.Google Scholar
- 6.Lockshin, M.D., Qamar, T., Goei, S., Druzin, M. Anticardiolipin antibody in SLE pregnancy: Prognostic value and response to therapy. Arthritis Rheum 1986, 29 (suppl. 4), S 44.Google Scholar
- 7.Thornton, J.G., Scott, J.S., Tovey, L.A.D., Anticardiolipin antibodies in pregnancy. Br Med J 1984, 289, 697.Google Scholar
- 8.Carreras, L.O., Vermylen, J.G. Lupus anticoagulant and thrombosis — Possible role of inhibition of prostacyclin formation. Trombos Haemost 1982, 48, 38–40.Google Scholar
- 12.Canoso, R.T., Oliveira, R.M. Chlorpromazine induced anticardiolipin antibodies and lupus anticoagulant. Arthritis Rheum 1986, 29 (suppl.4), S 96.Google Scholar
- 14.Cossermelli, W., Santiago, M.B., Bueno, C., Brum Fernandes, A.J., Oliveira, R.M. Cross reactivity of anti-DNA and anticardiolipin antibodies (ACA) in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Clin Exp Rheumatol 1987, 5 (S-2), 174.Google Scholar