Beta-endorphin, immunological and biochemical changes in synovial fluid in rheumatic disorders
In 120 patients with rheumatic disorders concomitant assays of serum and synovial fluid were done for acute phase reactants, immunoglobulins and the neuropeptide beta-endorphin. One-third of the patients with rheumatoid disease demonstrated synovial fluid levels of endorphin to be several-fold higher than serum levels, while in two-thirds the opposite results were found. These changes are discussed as adaptive or defense mechanisms. The synovial membrane is postulated to synthesize beta-endorphin.
Key wordsBeta-Endorphin Acute Phase Reactant Synovial Fluid Rheumatic Disorders
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Swann, D.A. Macromolecules of synovial fluid. In: The Joints and Synovial Fluid. Ed: L. Sokoloff, Academic Press, New York 1978, 407–438.Google Scholar
- 4.Denko, C.W., Aponte, J., Gabriel, P., Petricevic, M. Serum beta-endorphins in rheumatic disorders. Accepted for publication in J Rheumatol 1982.Google Scholar
- 5.Rodnan, G.P., Schumacher, H.R. Eds. Zvaifler, N.J., Associate Ed. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. Eighth Edition, Arthritis Foundation, Atlanta, 1983.Google Scholar
- 7.Ritzman, S.E., Daniels, J.C. “Serum Protein Abnormalities”. Diagnostic and Clinical Aspects, 1st ed., Little, Brown and Company, Boston, 1975.Google Scholar
- 9.Julliard, J.H., Shibasaki, T., Ling, N., Guillemin, R. High-molecular weight immunoreactiveβ-endorphin in extracts of human placenta is a fragment of immunoglobulin G. Science, 1980, 208, 183–185.Google Scholar
- 14.Pitt, E., Lewis, D.A. Anti-inflammatory properties of alpha-1-antitrypsin. Inter J Tissue Reactions 1979, 1, 21–32.Google Scholar
- 16.Denko, C.W. Regeneration, repair and their control by pharmacologic agents, Chapter 10 in Handbook of Inflammation, Vol. 5, Eds: Bonta, I., Bray, M.A., Parnham, M.J. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V. 1985.Google Scholar
- 17.Ferreira, S.H., Nakamura, M. Pathogenesis and pharmacology of pain. In: Advances in Inflammation Research, Ed: G. Weissmann, Raven Press, 1979, 1, 317–329.Google Scholar