Formation of laminar lateral separation caused by a sustainer engine jet
The early stage of separation flow formation on a cylindrical surface immediately after the onset of jet exhaust from the base is investigated numerically for various values of the jet-to-ambient pressure ratio on the basis of the complete time-dependent Navier-Stokes equations, the energy equation and the equations for the transfer and diffusion of the exhaust gas concentration. The time dependence of the geometrical and gasdynamic parameters in the separation flow region is obtained for various flow regimes. It is found that the process is periodic with transition from the flow regime with an open separation zone to that with a closed zone, and vice versa, until the final flow regime is attained, which may be open, closed, or periodic.
KeywordsFluid Dynamics Flow Regime Pressure Ratio Separation Flow Cylindrical Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Carrier and M. Sirieix, “Effets aérodynamiques de l'éclatement d'un jet de fusée,”Rech. Aéronaut., No. 89, 3 (1962).Google Scholar
- 2.L. J. Alpinieri and R. H. Adams, “Flow separation due to jet pluming,”AIAA J.,4, 1865 (1966).Google Scholar
- 3.R. H. Adams, “Wind tunnel testing techniques for gas-particle flows in rocket exhaust plumes,” AIAA Pap., No. 767 (1966).Google Scholar
- 4.A. N. Shlyagun, “Interaction of a highly underexpanded supersonic jet with a hypersonic outer flow,”Uch. Zap. TsAGI,10, No. 3, 37 (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.A. C. H. Mace, N. C. Markatos, D. B. Spalding, and D. G. Tatchell, “Analysis of combustion in recirculating flow for rocket exhausts in supersonic streams,”J. Spacecr. Rockets,19, 557 (1982).Google Scholar
- 6.J. M. Klineberg, T. Kubota, and L. Lees, “Theory of exhaust-plume/boundary-layer interactions at supersonic speeds,”AIAA J.,10, 581 (1972).Google Scholar
- 7.E. V. Myshenkov and V. I. Myshenkov, “Regimes of laminar lateral flow separation due to jet exhaust,”Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, No. 1, 132 (1994).Google Scholar
- 8.B. Engquist and S. Osher, “One-sided difference approximation for non-linear conservation laws,”Math. Comput.,36, 321 (1981).Google Scholar
- 9.P. K. Sweby, “High resolution schemes using flux limiters for hyperbolic conservation laws,”SIAM J. Numer. Anal.,21, 995 (1984).Google Scholar