Spanish performance in life sciences. A comparative appraisal of the scientific production of Spain and five other European countries in 1989
The output in life science disciplines from Spain and five other European countries has been measured in a datafile derived from theCurrent Contents-Life Sciences on diskette (1989). The results of this flash evaluation were contrasted with data retrieved from a survey covering the yearly output during the 1973–83 period and thee 1981–85 aggregated value from Schubert, Glänzel, Braun datafiles. The results of these studies showed an increasing share of Spain in the six countries' output, especially in the subfields of organic chemistry and phytochemistry. However, the quality of the Spanish articles—as deduced from the journal impact factors (JRC-1989)—is below the six countries average. The usefulness of the Current Contents on diskette for handy and reliable flash evaluations has been ascertained through a comparative analysis with more comprehensive surveys.
KeywordsOrganic Chemistry Comparative Analysis European Country Impact Factor Life Science
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Schubert, W. Glänzel, T. Braun, Scientific datafiles. A comprehensive set of indicators on 2649 journals and 96 countries in all major science fields and subfields 1981–85,Scientometrics, 16 (1989) 3–478.Google Scholar
- 2.T. Luukkonen, B. Stahle, Quality evaluations in the management of basic and applied research,Research Policy, 19 (1990) 357–368.Google Scholar
- 3.Los Indicadores de la ciencia de España y seis paises europeos, Spanish Ministry of Education and Science, Madrid, 1987, and Confidential Report from the Center for Research Planning. Philadelphia, CRP, 1986.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Pestaña, ¿Quién es quién en ciencias de la vida en España?,Mundo Científico, 108 (1990) 1200–1208.Google Scholar
- 5.J.F. Lamb, Index of decline of British science,Nature, 343 (1990) 404.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Elguero, Reflexiones sobre la última década de la química española,Política Científica, 19 (1989) 83–88.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Pascual, La evolución de las publicaciones científicas,Política Científica, 20 (1989) 28–31.Google Scholar
- 8.Caicyt and Fis Annual Reports from 1980 to 86. Some issues include retrospective data which were used to compute values for the 1970–80 period.Google Scholar
- 9.Informe económico 1988. Banco de Bilbao Vizcaya, Madrid 1989.Google Scholar