Effects of nifedipine on left venticular diastolic dysfunction after myocardial infarction
- 24 Downloads
In order to assess the effects of nifedipine on left ventricular diastolic abnormalities, 26 patients (mean age 52 year, range 42–66) were studied 10 days after a first myocardial infarction, at rest and during handgrip by Doppler examination. The time-velocity integral for the rapid (E) and atrial (A) filling phases and the E/A ration were used; stroke volume was calculated as the aortic time-velocity integral times the cross-sectional valvular area. Twenty age-matched normal subjects constituted the controls.
Twenty-one patients had a reversal of the early to late diastolic filling pattern; five patients had a restrictive pattern. Nifedipine normalized left ventricular filling in patients with a reverse pattern, both at rest and during handgrip. Moreover, these patients showed a descending left ventricular function curve by relating at rest and handgrip values of cardiac index and the E/A ratio. After nifedipine, these study patients showed an ascending left ventricular curve, similar to that of normal subjects, with an increase in cardiac index and a slight decrease in the E/R ratio. No beneficial effects were detectable in patients with a restrictive pattern of left ventricular filling.
Key Wordsnifedipine diastolic function Doppler echocardigraphy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Vissner CA, Koning H, Delemarre B. Pulsed-Doppler derived mitral inflow velocity in acute myocardial infarction: An early prognostic indication.J Am Coll Cardiol 1986;7:136A.Google Scholar
- 5.Scognamiglio R, Fasoli G, Miraglia G. Determinants of left ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction. In:Computers in cardiology. 1989:89–97.Google Scholar
- 6.Fisher DC, Voyles WF, Sikes W. Left ventricular filling patterns during ischemia: An echo Doppler study in open chest dogs.J Am Coll Cardiol 1985;5:426A.Google Scholar
- 9.Drinkovic N, Wisenbaugh T, Nissen SE. Sensitivity and specificity of transmitral flow velocity measurement in detecting impaired left ventricular compliance.Circulation 1986;74:II46.Google Scholar
- 12.Danford DA, Huhta JC, Murphy DJ, Doppler echocardiographic approaches to ventricular diastolic function.Echocardiography 1986;3:33–41.Google Scholar