Scientometric study of biochemical literature of Nigeria, 1970–1984: Application of Lotka's law and the 80/20-Rule
- 66 Downloads
A bibliography of biochemical literature of Nigeria for the period, 1970–1984 containing a total of 500 items, was analysed to test the applicability of Lotka's law and 80/20-rule to the author productivity distribution patterns. Four different files were created out of the data on author productivity: one for the publication of all the authors, second for the publications by first authors only, third for single authors and fourth for the contributions of only coauthors. Lotka's law could apply in all the four cases with different values of α. The Kolmogorov-Smirnov test was applied to test the applicability of Lotka's law at 0.01 level of significance. Egghe's theory and formula were used to test 80/20-rule and it was found that the rule did not apply to any of the four data sets.
KeywordsDistribution Pattern Nigeria Productivity Distribution Single Author Author Productivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. ADAMSON, A Measurement of biochemical research in Nigeria,Biochemical Education, 9 (1981) 144.Google Scholar
- 2.G. A. ALABI, Bradford's law and the Nigerian entomological literature,Insect Science and its Application, 5 (1984) 7.Google Scholar
- 3.A. BOOKSTEIN, Robustness properties of the bibliometric distributions, (unpublished paper), 1984.Google Scholar
- 4.L. EGGHE, On the 80/20 rule,Scientometrics, 10 (1986) 55.Google Scholar
- 5.F. E.-U. ETIM, Biochemical literature of Nigeria, 1970–1984: A bibliography. Ibadan University of Ibadan, Department of Library Studies, (unpublished project), 1986, p. 78.Google Scholar
- 6.D. K. GUPTA, Lotka's law and productivity patterns of entomological research in Nigeria for the period, 1900–1973,Scientometrics, 12 (1987) 33.Google Scholar
- 7.R. A. HJERPPE, A bibliography of bibliometrics and citation indexing and analysis. TRITA-Lib. 2013, The Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, 1978, p. 120.Google Scholar
- 8.M. L. PAO, Lotka's law: A testing procedure,Information Processing and Management, 21 (1985) 305.Google Scholar
- 9.M. L. PAO, An empirical examination of Lotka's law.Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 37 (1986) 28.Google Scholar
- 10.W. G. POTTER, Lotka's law revisited,Library Trends, 30 (1981) 21.Google Scholar
- 11.B. O. TOYE, Some characteristics of the Nigerian entomological literature,Nigerian Journal of Entomology, 1 (1975) 175.Google Scholar