Dynamics of a scientific field analysed by co-subfield structures
- 77 Downloads
This paper discusses the possibility to represent scientific development by ‘second-order networks’ in different modalities. In particular, a specific modality structured by subfield-to-subfield relations is presented. By constructing such ‘co-subfield maps’ for successive periods of time, we were able to describe the changing subfield relations within the field of chemical engineering. In this way, dynamical processes in the development of a field as a whole can be revealed. Advantages and disavantages as compared to co-citation and co-word mapping techniques are discussed and the importance of developing combined techniques is stressed.
KeywordsDynamical Process Chemical Engineering Mapping Technique Scientific Field Specific Modality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.D. HICKS, Limitations of co-citation analysis as a tool for science policy,Social Studies of Science, 17 (1987) 295–316.Google Scholar
- 3.H. P. F. PETERS, D. HARTMANN, A. F. J. Van RAAN,Monitoring Advances in Chemical Engineering: A Multi-Database Approach. Research Report to the Netherlands Technological Research Council (STW), Research Report SSU-87-01. Leiden: Science Studies Unit, Leiden, 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.H. P. F. PETERS, D. HARTMANN, A. F. J. Van RAAN, Monitoring advances in chemical engineering, in:Informetrics 87/88, L. EGGHE and R. ROUSSEAU (Eds), Amsterdam, Elsevier Science Publishers, 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.A. RIP, Mapping of science: Possibilities and limitations, in:Handbook of Quantitative Studies of Science and Technology, A. F. J. Van RAAN (Ed.), Amsterdam, Elsevier Science Publishers, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.R. J. W. TIJSSEN, J. De LEEUW, A. F. J. Van RAAN, Quasi-correspondence analysis on scientometric transaction matrices,Scientometrics, 11 (1987) 351–366.Google Scholar
- 7.R. J. W. TIJSSEN, J. De LEEUW, A. F. J. Van RAAN, A Method for mapping bibliometric relations based on field-classifications and citations of articles, in:Informetrics 87/88, L. EGGHE, R. ROUSSEAU (Eds), Amsterdam, Elsevier Science Publishers, 1988.Google Scholar
- 8.R. TODOROV, Representing a scientific field: A bibliometric approach,Scientometrics, 15 (1989) 593.Google Scholar