The negative binomial distribution as a trend distribution for circulation data in flemish public libraries
- 51 Downloads
Based on data collected by the authors in Flemish public libraries, we show how the negative binomial distribution (NBD) can be used as a trend distribution for library circulation data. Although actual data show more variation than simple statistics can explain, we recommend the use of the NBD for practical, managerial purposes. As a consequence we also recommend the teaching of these methods in introductory library management courses.
KeywordsActual Data Binomial Distribution Simple Statistic Negative Binomial Distribution Public Library
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I.K. Ravichandra Rao, Document and user distributions,Library Science with a Slant to Documentation, 19 (1982) 69–96.Google Scholar
- 2.Q.L. Burrell, Alternative models for library circulation data,Journal of Documentation, 38 (1982) 1–13.Google Scholar
- 3.Q.L. Burrell, V.R. Cane, The analysis of library data (with discussion),Journal of the Royal Statistical Society A, 145 (1982) 439–471.Google Scholar
- 6.K.W.R. Brownsey, Q.L. Burrell, Library circulation distributions: some observations on the PLR sample,Journal of Documentation, 42 (1986) 22–45.Google Scholar
- 7.W.E. McGrath, Parameters for cluster analysis of library overlap. In:Informetrics 87/88,L. Egghe,R. Rousseau (Eds), Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1988, p. 121–132.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Schubert, W. Glänzel, Statistical reliability of comparisons based on the citation impact of scientific publications,Scientometrics, 5 (1988) 59–74.Google Scholar
- 9.Q.L. Burrell, A simple model for library loans,Journal of Documentation, 36 (1980) 115–132.Google Scholar
- 10.I. Ajiferuke, J. Tague, A model for full circulation data. In:Informetrics 89/90,L. Egghe,R. Rousseau (Eds), Elsevier, Amsterdam. 1990, p. 1–16.Google Scholar
- 11.M.T. Kinnucan, D. Wolfram, Direct comparison of bibliometric models,Information Processing & Management, 26 (1990) 777–790.Google Scholar
- 13.L. Egghe, R. Rousseau,Introduction to Informetrics, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1990.Google Scholar