Augmented-pressure colostogram in imperforate anus with fistula
- 141 Downloads
Most newborns with imperforate anus, except for those with very low varieties, undergo a diverting colostomy performed in the postnatal period, with definitive surgical repair at a later age. Accurate demonstration of the anatomy of any associated fistula between the rectum and urogenital tract is essential for optimal surgical management. An augmented-pressure distal segment colostogram is recommended prior to definitive repair, both to confirm the level of rectal atresia and to define any associated fistulous communication. We report a case of high imperforate anus with rectourethral fistula in which the fistulous tract was not identified on the conventional contrast colostogram but was readily delineated when an augmented-pressure modification of the technique was utilized. The technical aspects of augmented-pressure colostography are presented.
KeywordsPublic Health Technical Aspect Postnatal Period Distal Segment Urogenital Tract
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Anorectal malformations. In: Kirks DR (ed) Practical pediatric imaging: diagnostic radiology of infants and children. Little, Brown and Company, Boston, pp 582–588Google Scholar
- 4.Templeton JM, O'Neill JA (1986) Anorectal malformations. In: Welch KJ, Randolph TG, Ravitch MM, O'Neill JA Jr, Rowe MI (eds) Pediatric surgery, vol, 2. Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago, pp 1022–1035Google Scholar
- 5.Urologic aspects of imperforate anus. In: Silverman FN (ed) Caffey's Pediatric X-ray diagnosis, 8th ed. Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago, pp 1700–1701Google Scholar
- 7.Rich MA, Brock WA, Pena A (1988) Spectrum of genitourinary malformations in patients with imperforate anus. Pediatr Surg Int 3: 110–113Google Scholar
- 8.Pena A (1990) Atlas of surgical management of anorectal malformations. Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp 14–16Google Scholar
- 9.Anorectal malformations. In: Silverman FN (ed) Caffey's Pediatric X-ray Diagnosis. 8th ed. Year Book Medical Publishers. Chicago, pp 1863–1872Google Scholar
- 10.Pena A (1988) Surgical management of anorectal malformations: a unified concept. Pediatr Surg Int 3: 82–93Google Scholar
- 11.Pena A (1988) Posterior sagittal anorectoplasty: results in the management of 332 cases of anorectal malformations. Pediatr Surg Int 3: 94–104Google Scholar