The effect of surgery and anesthetic agents on granulocyte-chemiluminescence in whole blood
- 9 Downloads
The effect of anesthesia and major abdominal surgery on zymosan-induced chemiluminescence (CL) of neutrophil granulocytes was evaluated. CL was measured in diluted whole blood taken at distinct intervals within the perioperative period. In addition, blood samples from healthy volunteers were supplemented with ether and halothane to investigate the in vitro effect of these agents. The phagocytosis-induced CL was not found to be depressed by anesthesia and surgery. Only at supranarcotic concentrations was CL reduced. Surgery and anesthesia, therefore, do not appear to impair this defense system significantly under the conditions of this investigation.
Key wordsChemiluminescence anesthesia surgery abdominal granulocytes perioperative period immunological resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Halsey, M. J., Physiological properties of inhalational anesthetics, in: General Anesthesia, vol. 1. Eds T. C. Gray, I. F. Nunn and J. E. Utting. Butterworths, London 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.Graham, E. A., The influence of ether and ether anesthesia on bacteriolysis, agglutination and phagocytosis. J. infect. Dis.8 (1911) 147–175.Google Scholar
- 11.Wandall, J. H., and Binder, V., Function of neutrophil granulocytes during and immediately after surgical trauma. Br. J. Surg.65 (1978) 354.Google Scholar
- 13.Seim, S., Role of mueloperoxidase in the luminol-dependent chemiluminescence response of phagocytosing human monocytes. Acta path. microbiol. immun. scand., sect. C91 (1983) 123–128.Google Scholar
- 15.Conroy, P. T., Platt, P. N., and Elliot, M., A comparison of whole blood and neutrophil chemiluminescence in patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass, in: Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Analytical Applications of Bioluminescence and Chemiluminescence. Eds L. Kricka and P. E. Stanley. Academic Press, London, in print (Symposium Handbook, Birmingham 1984, Abstract 47).Google Scholar