Differential effects of captopril and enalapril, two angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors, on immune reactivity in experimental lupus disease
- 46 Downloads
We have previously demonstrated that Captopril, an inhibitor of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE), ameliorates experimental systemic lupus erythematosus in inbred MRL lpr/lpr (MRL/l) mice. In contrast, Enalapril, another ACE inhibitor with antihypertensive properties but lacking a thiol group, did not show similar beneficial effects. To better understand the mode of action of captopril in the autoimmune disease we have evaluated its immunomodulatory properties with special emphasis on antigen-specific and polyclonal B- and T-cell activation. The results obtained strongly suggest that Captopril exerts its immunomodulatory effects through stimulation of T-lymphocytes.
KeywordsImmune Reactivity Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Angiotensin Autoimmune Disease Thiol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Herlitz, A. Tarkowski, C. Svalander, R. Volkmann and G. Westberg,Beneficial effect of captopril on systemic lupus erythematosus-like disease in MRL lpr/lpr mice. Int. Archs Allergy appl. Immun.85, 272–277 (1988).Google Scholar
- H. Herlitz, C. Svalander, A. Tarkowski and G. Westberg,Influence of antihypertensive treatment on renal and extrarenal lupus manifestations in MRL/l mice. Scand. J. Urology Nephr. (S)108, 65–70 (1988).Google Scholar
- H. Van Loveren, K. Kato, R. E. Ratzlaff, R. Meade, W. Ptak and P. A. Askenase,Use of micrometers and calipers to measure various components of delayed-type hypersensitivity ear swelling reactions in mice. J. Immunol. Meth.67, 311–319 (1984).Google Scholar
- H. Carlsten, L.-Å. Nilsson and A. Tarkowski,Impaired cutaneous delayed-type hypersensitivity in autoimmune MRL lpr/lpr mice. Int. Archs Allergy appl. Immun.81, 322–325 (1986).Google Scholar
- G. S. Deepe, C. L. Taylor, L. Srivastava and W. E. Bullock,Impairment of granulomatous inflammatory response to histoplasma capsulatum by inhibitors of angiotensin-converting enzyme. Infect. Immunity48, 395–401 (1985).Google Scholar
- S. A. Johnsen and M. Aurell,Immunosuppressive action of captopril blocked by prostaglandin synthetase inhibitor. Lancet1, 1005 (1981).Google Scholar
- M. Kiyotaki, T. Toguchi, T. Abe, T. Takeuchi, C. Morimoto and M. Homma,In vitro anti-DNA antibody synthesis by peripheral blood lymphocytes in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin. Immunol. Immunopath.21, 237–246 (1981).Google Scholar