Evaluation of benomyl and thiophanate-methyl for the control of Verticillium wilt of strawberry in the Netherlands
- 50 Downloads
In pot experiments the fungicides benomyl and thiophanate-methyl controlledVerticillium wilt of strawberry when applied as a soil drench after planting. Both compounds were ineffective as foliar sprays and as root dips prior to planting.
Soil drenches applied to commercially grown runner plants in the waiting field (August) and to the same plants in the greenhouse (December or January) increased the yield.
On infested ground, a soil drench with thiophanate-methyl promoted the occurrence of crown rot caused byPhytophthora cactorum.
KeywordsPlant Pathology Benomyl Verticillium Wilt Foliar Spray Verticillium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bollen, G. J., 1972. A comparison of the in vitro antifungal spectra of thiophanates and benomyl. Neth. J. Pl. Path. 78: 55–64.Google Scholar
- Bollen, G. J. & Fuchs, A., 1970. On the specificity of the in vitro and in vivo antifungal activity of benomyl. Neth. J. Pl. Path. 76: 299–312.Google Scholar
- Busch, L. V. & Hall, R., 1971.Verticillium wilt of chrysanthemum: suppression of fungal colonization of leaves and prevention of wilt symptom development by foliar applications of benomyl. Can. J. Bot. 49: 1987–1991.Google Scholar
- Jarvis, W. R. & Hargreaves, A. J., 1973. Tolerance to benomyl inBotrytis cinerea andPenicillium corymbiferum. Pl. Path. 22: 139–141.Google Scholar
- Jordan, V. W. L., 1972. Evaluation of fungicides for the control ofVerticillium wilt (V. dahliae) of strawberry. Ann. appl. Biol. 70: 163–168.Google Scholar
- Jordan, V. W. L., 1973. The modes of action of two benzimidazoles and thiophanate-methyl used for the control ofVerticillium wilt of strawberry. Ann. appl. Biol. 75: 41–47.Google Scholar
- Lockhart, C. L., MacNab, A. A. & Bolwyn, B., 1969. A systemic fungicide for control ofVerticillium wilt in strawberries. Can. Pl. Dis. Surv. 49: 46–48.Google Scholar
- Wijshoff, J., 1973. Bestrijding stengelrot bij aardbei, Fruitteelt 63: 148–149.Google Scholar