Comparison of different methods of modeling turbulent combustion in a boundary layer
Three methods of modeling a chemical reaction in the combustion of ethanol injected into the boundary layer through a porous plate are compared. In calculations of the average velocity and temperature and also heat-transfer coefficients, simple models of combustion are shown to be close in accuracy to a model that takes into complete account the kinetics of all reactions occurring during combustion. Simple models fail to determine the composition of reaction products, and it is necessary to take into account the formation rate of each substance entrained in combustion.
KeywordsCombustion Physical Chemistry Boundary Layer Dynamical System Simple Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. F. Boyarshinov, E. P. Volchkov, V. I. Terekhov, and S. A. Shutov, “Turbulent boundary layer with the injection of reactive materials,”Fiz. Goreniya Vzryva,17, No. 6, 21–28 (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.D. Miloyevich, “Calculation of gas-fuel combustion in a cylindrical eddy chamber,” in:High Temperature Flows and Heat Exchange [in Russian], Inst. of Thermal Physics, Sib. Div., Acad. of Sci. of the USSR, Novosibirsk (1990), pp. 106–122.Google Scholar
- 3.É. P. Volkov and N. Yu. Kudryavtsev, “Modeling of the formation of nitrogen oxides in a turbulent diffusion flame,”Inzh.-Fiz. Zh.,56, No. 6, 885–893 (1989).Google Scholar
- 4.P. Hutchinson, E. E. Khalil, J. H. Whitelaw, and G. Wigly, “The calculation of furnace flow properties and their experimental verification,”Trans. ASME, Ser. C,98, 276–283 (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.P. A. Libby and F. Williams (eds.),Turbulent Reacting Flows, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.S. Patankar and D. Spaulding,Heat and Mass Transfer in Boundary Layers, Morgan-Grampian, London (1967).Google Scholar
- 9.B. F. Boyarhinov, É. P. Volchkov, and V. I. Terekhov, “Flow structure and heat and mass transfer in a boundary layer with a combustion front,” In:Transfer Processes in Single- and Two-Phase Media [in Russian], Inst. of Thermal Physics, Sib. Div., Acad. of Sci. of the USSR, Novosibirsk (1986), pp. 88–97.Google Scholar
- 10.B. F. Boyarshinov, Heat and Mass Transfer in a Boundary Layer in Ethanol Evaporation and Combustion, Candidate's Dissertation, Novosibirsk (1988).Google Scholar