On the frequency equation for love waves due to abrupt thickening of the crustal layer
- 45 Downloads
The effect of thickening of the crustal layer in mountainous region on the dispersion curve of Love waves has been studied. Perturbation method has been applied to obtain the modified frequency equation for Love waves through the surface of separation between a semi-infinite material and a layer the thickness of which abruptly increases throughout a certain length of the path. The effect is to decrease the phase velocity of the waves particularly in the low period range. It has been pointed out that by proper study, the amount of thickening may be obtained.
KeywordsPhase Velocity Dispersion Curve Mountainous Region Perturbation Method Love Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Byerly P.: Bull. Geol. Soc. Amer. Vol. 48 (1938) (2025).Google Scholar
- (2).De Noyer J.: Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer. Vol. 51 (1961) (227–236).Google Scholar
- (3).Eringen A. C. &Samuels C. J.: J. Appl. Mech. Vol. 26 (1959) (491–498).Google Scholar
- (4).Ghosh M.: Gerlands Beitr. Geoph. (1961) (in press).Google Scholar
- (5).Gutenberg B.: Bull. Geol. Soc. Amer. Vol. 54 (1943) (473).Google Scholar
- (6).Tranter C. J.:Integral Transforms in Mathematical Physics, (1951) (66-..).Google Scholar
- (7).Wilson J. T.: Bull. Seis. Soc. Amer. Vol. 30 (1940) (273).Google Scholar