Cation transport in vascular endothelial cells and aging
- 28 Downloads
To understand the generation and maintenance of Na and K gradients in cultured vascular endothelial cells, net Na and K movements were studied. Ouabain-sensitive (OS) net Na gain and K loss were estimated as the difference between the cation content in the presence of ouabain and that in the control. Ouabain-and furosemide-resistant (OFR) fluxes were determined in the presence of the two inhibitors. When the normal medium bicarbonate and phosphate buffers were replaced by N-2-hydroxyethylpiperazine-N'-2-ethane sulfonic acid both the OS ans OFR fluxes decreased more than 50%. Ouabain-sensitive and ouabain-and furosemide-resistant fluxes decreased with increasing cellular age (passage number) an effect not observed when the cation movements were studied in the absence of bicarbonate and phosphate. These results suggest that cultured vascular endothelial cells possess bicarbonate-and phosphate-dependent Na and K pathways which account for a significant portion of their passive movements. Furthermore, the behavior of cation permeabilities with passage number suggests that these modulations may be related to the cellular aging process.
Key Wordsendothelium ion transport net fluxes aging bicaroonate phosphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Adragna, N.C. 1989. Na/K pump activity in cultured bovine vascular endothelial cells (CBVEC).Biophys. J. 55:336a Google Scholar
- 4.Adragna, N.C. 1990. Sodium pump and leaks in cultured vascular endothelial cells.J. Gen. Physiol. 96:46aGoogle Scholar
- 10.Danisi, G., Straub, R.W. 1980. Unidirectional influx of phosphate across the mucosal membrane of rabbit small intestine.Pfluegers Arch. 385:117–122Google Scholar
- 14.Jentsch, T.J., Koch, M., Bleckmann, H., Wiederholt, M. 1984. Effect of bicarbonate, pH, methazolamide and stilbenes on the intracellular potentials of cultured bovine corneal endothelial cells.J. Membrane Biol. 78:103–117Google Scholar
- 23.Rubero, L., Banerjee, D.K., Escobales, N. 1989. Na/H exchange: A major pathway for pHi-regulation in capillary endothelial cells from adrenal medulla.FASEB J 3:A579Google Scholar
- 25.Wiederholt, M., Jentsch, T.J., Keller, S.K. 1985. Electrogenic sodium-bicarbonate symport in cultured corneal endothelial cells.Pfluegers Arch. 405:S167-S171Google Scholar
- 27.Zicha, J., Byskova, E., Kunes, J. Pohlova, I., Jelinek, J. 1987. sodium pump activity in young and adult salt hypertensive Dahl rats.Klin. Wochenschr. 8:76–81Google Scholar