Comparison of antiinflammatory and antiallergic drugs in the melittin- and D49 PLA2-induced mouse paw edema models
- 42 Downloads
Melittin (MLT) (10 μg/paw) and D49 (0.4 μg/paw) were injected into the hind paw of male CD-1 mice and elicited 70–80% of maximal paw edema responses at 60 and 30 min after injection, respectively. D49 paw edema was significantly inhibited by anti-histamine/serotonin agents, a PAF antagonist, a PLA2 inhibitor, and some but not all 5-LO and CO inhibitors, indicating that this edema is produced by several classes of inflammatory mediators with mast cell degranulation apparently playing a major role. In contrast, MLT paw edema was not inhibited effectively using the same pharmacological agents except theophylline, suggesting it was elicited via a different sequence of inflammatory events. In summary, D49 and MLT paw edema models were found to be ineffective models to identify experimental PLA2 compounds in our laboratory.
KeywordsMast Cell Theophylline Inflammatory Mediator Pharmacological Agent Melittin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. Cirino, C. Cicala and L. Sorrentino,Effect of BK-antagonists and LNMMA on PLA 2-induced oedema in rat paw. Abstract book, International Congresses on Inflammation, p. 183 (June 1990).Google Scholar
- J. J. Moreno, G. Carganico and E. Bastida,Mediators involved in the early inflammatory reaction induced by intradermal injection of phospholipase A 2 (PLA 2). Abstract book, International Congresses on Inflammation, p. 262 (June 1990).Google Scholar
- John S. Bomalaski, Daniel G. Baker, Lynne Brophy, Norman V. Resurreccion, Isaias Spilberg, Miguel Munian and Mike A. Clark,A phospholipase A 2-activating protein (PLAP) stimulates human neutrophil aggregation and release of lysosomal enzymes, superoxide, and eicosanoids. J Immunol,142, 3957–3962 (1989)PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hassan Salari, Pierre Braquet and Pierre Borgeat,Stimulation of lipoxygenase product synthesis in human leukocytes and platelets by melittin. Molecular Pharmacol,28, 546–548 (1985).Google Scholar
- Marinne S. de Carvalho and R. S. Jacobs,Inhibition of eicosanoid release by scalaradial, a phospholipase A 2 inhibitor. Pharmacologist,32, 273 (1990).Google Scholar