Thermal analysis of Codex Huamantla and other Mexican papers
- 53 Downloads
The application of thermal analysis and other techniques to determine the thermal and mechanical history of an object is extended to investigate the method of manufacturing of ancient papers. The Humboldt Fragment number six of the Codex Huamantla and other Mexican papers are analyzed by means of Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) and Thermogravimetry-Mass Spectroscopy (TG-MS). The results reveal mechanical treatment or beating of the raw material and also indicate, that the two cultures exchanged knowledge about the paper making. The simplicity and speed of thermoanalytical methods make them a good choice to screen samples for composition and origin. With the addition of more elaborate techniques, such as X-ray analysis, IR spectroscopy, evolved gas analysis by mass spectrometry and microscopy, a definitive classification can be reached easily.
KeywordsCodex Huamantla paper making thermal analysis thermal and mechanical history thermogravimetry-mass spectroscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Hunter, Papermaking, The History and Technology of an Ancient Craft, Dover Publications New York 1978.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Rudin, Making Paper, A look into the History of an Ancient Craft, Rudins, Vällingby, Sweden 1990.Google Scholar
- 3.R. Schwede, Ueber das Papier der Maya Codices, Dresden, Verlag von Richard Bertling 1912.Google Scholar
- 4.J. B. Glass, Catalogo de la Coleccion de Codices, Museo Nacional de Antropologia, Mexico (1964).Google Scholar
- 5.M. F. Cline, Guide to Ethnohistorical Sources, Handbook of Middle American Indians, Vol. 14, University of Texas Press, Austin, USA, 1973, pp. 133, 140.Google Scholar
- 6.W. Sandermann, Papiergeschichte, 20, 11 (1970), p. 61.Google Scholar
- 7.W. von Hagen, The Aztec and Maya paper makers, New York, Hacker Art Books 1977.Google Scholar
- 8.H. G. Wiedemann, R. Riesen, A. Boller and G. Bayer, From Wood to Coal: A Compositional Thermogravimetric Analysis, Compositional Analysis by Thermogravimetry, ASTM STP 997, C. M. Earnest, ED., American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1988, pp. 227–244.Google Scholar