A clinical trial with an “anti-regurgitation” formula
To determine whether a new “anti-regurgitation formula” containing a bean gum preparation decreases the number of regurgitations and gastro-oesophageal reflux (GOR), we studied 20 infants from 1 week to 4 months of age, referred for evaluation of regurgitation, in a double-blind prospective study. The number of regurgitations decreased significantly in both the treatment group (the formula with thickening product, positional treatment, parental reassurance) and the placebo group (the same formula without thickening product, positional treatment, parental reassurance) (P 0.002 and 0.032, respectively). The results of a 24-h oesophageal pH monitoring, performed before and during treatment, showed a significant decrease in the percentage of time oesophageal pH was <4.0 in the treatment group. It is concluded that conservative treatment of regurgitations in infants, consisting mainly of parental reassurance and postural therapy, is sufficient to obtain clinical remission in most patients. In addition, milk thickening products tend to improve clinical remission and contribute to the normalisation of some pH metric parameters.
Key wordsGastro-oesophageal reflux Infants Thickening Bean gum Oesophageal pH monitoring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Council of Belgian Group of Paediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (1994) Hypo-allergenic formulae: what's in a name? Eur J Pediatr (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.Fried MD, Khoshoo V, Secker DJ, Gilday DL, Ash JM, Pencharz PB (1992) Decrease in gastric emptying time and episodes of regurgitation in children with spastic quadriplegia fed a wheybased formula. J Pediatr 123: 569–572Google Scholar
- 14.Vandenplas Y, Sacre L (1987) Milk-thickening agents as a treatment for gastroesophageal reflux. Clin Pediatr 26: 66–68Google Scholar
- 16.Vandenplas Y, Sacre L, Loeb H (1988) Effects of formula feeding on gastric acidity time and oesophageal pH monitoring data. Eur J Pediatr 148: 152154Google Scholar
- 18.Vandenplas Y, Belli D, Boige N, Bouquet J, Cadranel S, Cezard JP, Chapoy P, Cucchiara S, Dupont C, Gottrand F, Heymans HSA, Kneepkens CMF, Katsiayannikis L, Milla P, Navarro J, Newell SJ, Sandhu BK, Tolboom J (1992) A standardised protocol for the methodology of esophageal pH monitoring and interpretation of the data for the diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux. (ESPGAN-society statement). J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 14: 467–471PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Vandenplas Y, Ashkenazi A, Belli D, Blecker U, Boige N, Bouquet J, Cadranel S, Cezard JP, Cucchiara S, Dupont S, Geboes K, Gottrand F, Heymans HSA, Jasinski C, Kneepkens CMF, Koletzko S, Milla P, Mougenot JF, Navarro J, Newell SJ, Nusslé D, Olafsdottir E, Peeters S, Polanco I, Ravelli A, Sandhu BK, Tolboom J (1993) A proposition for the diagnosis and treatment of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in infants and children. Eur J Pediatr 152: 704–711CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar