The influence of oxygen concentrations on denitrification in soil
- 97 Downloads
The influence of different O2 concentrations on denitrification was studied in an agricultural soil. In both nitrate and nitrite amended soil, denitrification was not observed until the O2 concentration decreased to 0.20 and 0.21 μmol/ml, respectively. Denitrification was not observed in soil samples with O2 concentrations above 0.28 μmol/ml in the gas phase. These findings suggest that a completely anoxic environment is not required for denitrification to occur in soil.
Key wordsDenitrification Oxygen Nitrite Nitrate Soil Acetylene blockage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adkins AM, Knowles R (1984) Reduction of nitrous oxide by a soilCytophaga in the presence of acetylene and sulfide. FEMS Microbiol Lett 23:171–174Google Scholar
- Evans DG, Beauchamp E, Trevors JT (1985) Sulfide alleviation of the acetylene inhibition of nitrous oxide reduction in soil. Appl Environ Microbiol 49:217–220Google Scholar
- Nakajima M, Hayamizu T, Nishimura H (1984a) Effect of oxygen concentrations on the rates of denitratification and denitritification in the sediments of an eutrophic lake. Water Res 18:335–338Google Scholar
- Nakajima M, Hayamizu T, Nishimura H (1984b) Inhibitory effect of oxygen on denitratification and denitritification in sludge from an oxidation ditch. Water Res 18:339–343Google Scholar
- Payne WJ (1981) Denitrification. John Wiley and Sons, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Robertson LA, Kuenen JG (1984) Aerobic denitrification: a controversy revived. Arch Microbiol 139:351–354Google Scholar
- Smith CJ, Patrick WH Jr (1984) Nitrous oxide emissions as affected by alternate anaerobic and aerobic conditions from soil suspensions enriched with ammonium sulfate. Soil Biol Biochem 15:693–697Google Scholar
- Tiedje JM (1982) Denitrification. In: Page AL (ed) Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2 Am Soc Agron. Madison Wisconsin, pp 1011–1026Google Scholar
- Trevors JT (1984) A rapid gas chromatographic technique for measuring respiration rates in incubated soil samples and pure cultures of soil bacteria. Biotech Lett 5:625–628Google Scholar
- Voets JP, Vanstaen H, Verstraete W (1975) Removal of nitrogen from highly nitrogenous waste waters. J Wat Pollut Control Fed 47:394–398Google Scholar
- Yoshinara T, Hynes R, Knowles R (1977) Acetylene inhibition of nitrous oxide reduction and measurement of denitrification and nitrogen fixation in soil. Soil Biol Biochem 9:177–183Google Scholar